Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Ext Hard drives

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Pestyone

• Members
  • 315 posts
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 27 February 2016 - 02:55 PM

I like to save docs / pictures / videos ; avi / xvid / mp 4 etc to an ext Hard drive but when i plug the Ext into a usb port on my dvd player  

or into the usb port onto my flat screen everything doesn t play or get shown on the flat screen Tv ;  is that normal how do i

fix that ?

Also if i use a portable ext HD that doesn t get plugged in; would the same thing happen ; why is it that everything thats get saved doesn't

getting seen on the flat screen Tv is this normal; can it be fixed ?  ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 27 February 2016 - 03:25 PM

I may be wrong, but that may be a shortcoming in your DVD player or TV.

#3 rqt

• Members
  • 363 posts
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 28 February 2016 - 04:30 AM

TVs & DVD players tend to have fairly restricted specs on what type disk format, files types & possibly file sizes that they will recognise or read. There can be additional requirements for writing to the disk (e.g. my HDD recorder will read a NTFS disk but will only write to a FAT32 disk). You are presumably saving some files that fall outside the requirements of your devices. You need to consult the documentation for your TV & DVD player to try and find the problem.

It will not make any difference whether you are using a "portable" (i.e. USB powered) or "desktop" (i.e. has a power brick) type hard drive - the same format, file type & size requirements exist. A portable drive could possibly require more USB power than your devices can comfortably provide, so that could be another source of potential problems.

#4 Havachat

• Members
  • 1,004 posts
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 28 February 2016 - 07:31 AM

It all depends on the Dvd Player and Formats it can read.

Same with the TV Usb Port and Formatts the TV can read.

I setup my sisters portable drive Seagate 3 TB  as GPT and formatted as Fat32 { TVs wont read Ntfs }.

Drives under 2 TB just format at Fat32.

She has a late model Samsung Led 55" and a BluRay Player.

She can run any Usb Stick { Fat32 } on the Bluray Player with any movies with ext / format - .avi / .mp4 / .xvid / .divx .....{ But Not .mkv }.

She can run the Seagate 3 TB { Ext Powered Unit } to the TV Usb Ports with the same formats - As Above.

Picture Files can also be displayed with .jpeg format.

I have never tried Documents as i dont think thats what TVs were made for.

Usually it trial and error to see what a TV is capable of playing ? ....Load a Usb Stick up with some files / Insert TV / see what does and doesnt work.

Me personally i run a PC next to my Plasma via a HDMI Cable and select Tv Input Mode =  HDMI .

I run 2 Caddy Racks on PC to input any drives i have , and then boot PC and display whatever on the Plasma Screen.  { As a Monitor }.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users