Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing Xp W/o The Cd

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Whind_soull

Whind_soull

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 31 July 2006 - 06:44 PM

I have a computer (not the one I'm currently on) that runs Windows XP. It was built by a person rather that a company, and has no "brand"

When turned on, it boots and then, when starting up Windows XP, flashes a BSOD too fast to read, and then reverts back to booting up. It does this over and over endlessly.

Shortly before this problem started, the CD drive stopped working. (Thus, I can't reformat using the XP CD, as I believe is normally done.)

I actually don't have the CD anyway.

Using a boot disk, I am able to get to A:\> but lack the knowledge to proceed from there. Is it possible to reformat C: from there?

Yes, I am aware that without the XP CD I will be unable to reinstall Windows XP.

IF the start up problem is one that can be quickly and easily fixed, then I would prefer to do that.

This computer has little of value on it, and if the startup issue isn't a quick fix, then I would really rather reformat the harddrive than waste any more time on trying to fix things. (There are many other problems with it beyond the issue I just described.)

Thank you in advance,
--Will

Edited by Whind_soull, 31 July 2006 - 06:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JU$T1N

JU$T1N

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 31 July 2006 - 07:06 PM

You may want to try this before formatting:

~If you press F8 before any signs that Windows is loading (Just after POST) you will have an option (IF Service Pack 2 was installed) called: DISABLE AUTOMATIC RESTART ON SYSTEM FAILURE
-If you select this option it will then produce the Blue Screen error without restarting...

:Copy as much information from the Blue Screen error and post back for further assistance.
JU$T1N~1

#3 Whind_soull

Whind_soull
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2006 - 07:17 PM

I pressed F8 and it caused a blue popup-ish window that says "Select First Boot Device" and has options below it.

There is nothing about disabling auto-restart.

(Sorry, I don't know if Service Pack 2 is installed or not.)

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 31 July 2006 - 07:53 PM

If it gives you the option to set the hard drive as the first boot device select it.

#5 Whind_soull

Whind_soull
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2006 - 08:12 PM

Ok, I kinda got around the problem of not being able to read the split-second BSOD by filming it with my cameraphone, uploading the video into a video editer, and going through second by second until I got to it and could read it.

It reads:

STOP: c0000135 {unable to Locate Component}
This application has failed to start because winsrv was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2006 - 08:20 PM

The following Microsoft article may help:

You receive a "Stop: c0000135" and "winsrv was not found"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885523

#7 Whind_soull

Whind_soull
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2006 - 08:31 PM

Ok, it's telling me that it's Service Pack 2 that's causing it (due to some incompatibility). And that I should "Use the Add or Remove Programs tool in Control Panel" to remove SP2.

The only problem is that I can't exactly use Add or Remove Programs if windows crashes everytime I turn on the computer...

It says I could also fix it through RegEdit. Is it possible to access RegEdit from where I am?

It also mentions using the "Recovery Console" but honestly, I barely even know what that is, much less how to use it...

Thanks a bunch!

Edited by Whind_soull, 31 July 2006 - 08:32 PM.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2006 - 08:48 PM

It said it MAY be due to problems resulting from SP2.

When did you install SP2 - if it was not recently, and your computer has been working properly since you installed it, it probably isn't due to SP2 unless you recently installed hardware or software that isn't SP2 compliant). If you recently installed it just before the problem started it most likely is due to a conflict with SP2 with software or hardware on your computer.

There are two things you can do.

First recommended - Do this before anything else at this point:

Microsoft's policy is to offer free support for problems resulting from Critical Updates (of which SP2 is one).

Microsoft Security Product Support Policy

Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support
Services at 1-866-PC SAFETY (1-866-727-2338).

There is no charge for support calls associated with security updates.

International customers can get support from their local Microsoft
subsidiaries. Phone numbers for international support can be found
at: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

Secondly, you can use the recovery console to try to fix this:

How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP Home (XP Pro comes with it installed)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;307654

Edited by Enthusiast, 31 July 2006 - 08:51 PM.

#9 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2006 - 09:07 PM

Actually when Microsoft is called ands they find out the install cd is not available they are going to have a little problem with that and since the member does not have the proper install cd they are running illegal and Microsoft will have a dual problem which will lead to no tech support. You can not do this with out the proper software.

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2006 - 09:12 PM

I don't believe that it is a requirement to have a working cd rom, and if XP came preinstalled by a commercial assembler using a valid OEM version of XP and SP2 was downloaded subsequently it would be a valid Windows installation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users