Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP!! Lenovo g50-45 running win 8 boots up to blue screen and archives!!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SolarKing

SolarKing

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:04 PM

Doing a buddy a favor led me to pulling an all night laptop repair session. His 7 yr old spends her life online gaming and downloading crap. Of course she's also been downloading dozens of browsers and just plain crap. So I've battling everything that comes with that and just as I thought I was down to a clean device the mouse and touch pad freezes and the system went into reboot. Unfortunately when it got past the Lenovo screen the result was a log on screen that looked like it was written in Klingon!! I think back in the day this was referred to as "archives"?
So I can't get to a command prompt or even get past the screen of torture!!
Any assistance that anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SolarKing

SolarKing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:12 PM

Here's a couple of pics of my dilemma!!

Attached File  20160227_071915.jpg   36.65KB   1 downloads

Attached File  20160227_071910.jpg   54.72KB   1 downloads

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 27 February 2016 - 02:27 PM

Try the following

1. Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
  2. Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
  3. As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  4. Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
  5. Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.
  6. Click Advanced Options, and then select Troubleshoot.

See if you can do a system restore from the Advanced Options. Pick a restore date just previous to your cleaning. Another option would be to do a Refresh, not Reset, but that also removes any installed programs. Data and Apps remain.

http://www.howtogeek.com/132428/everything-you-need-to-know-about-refreshing-and-resetting-your-windows-8-pc/

Lenovo offers a one touch restore that will take it back to a factory state. This would erase all personal data requiring you to backup to an external source using a bootable disk or external enclosure. If your friend does not need any data on the computer and has his program licenses then see this video on factory reset.

#4 SolarKing

SolarKing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 02:49 PM

So far so good! It only took 3 lower on/off before I was able to get to system restore. I'm going to take your advice and do a complete scrub.

Thanks for the quick response!
So far so good! It only took 3 lower on/off before I was able to get to system restore. I'm going to take your advice and do a complete scrub.

Thanks for the quick response!

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 27 February 2016 - 02:55 PM

Your Welcome, glad the system restore got it sorted out somewhat. Yes, I would say a complete scrub would be in order after backing up any personal data. Have your friend set up an admin account with a strong password and set the child's account as a User Account which would prevent the installation of programs.

Edit: your friend may be interested in this software.

http://www1.k9webprotection.com/

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 February 2016 - 02:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users