Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transferring data with iomega external hard drive and using ready boost?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 auto1571

auto1571

• Members
  • 324 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 27 February 2016 - 12:44 PM

Hi, I currently have a computer running Windows 7 and I would like to transfer the backed up information on the iomega external hard drive to it and also I noticed an option to use Windows ready boost too to help speed up and increase performance. My concern however is that the chassis is quite small and that the computer specs may not enable these operations to complete properly. Any help on this would be much appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:15 PM

I wouldn't advise enabling ReadyBoost on your Iomega hard drive.  You should only really use external flash memory with ReadyBoost, and that, only if you have a minimal RAM and you are desperate to speed up your computer.  See this to find out more about ReadyBoost.

#3 auto1571

auto1571
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 324 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 02:13 PM

Hi, thanks for that information. Now from the following information acquired from Speccy would any of you be able to tell me if I should upgrade, troubleshoot and/or be aware of when performing certain tasks?

Hi, thanks for that information. By the way I have used Speccy and was wondering if you or anyone could tell me if there is anything I should upgrade, troubleshoot and/or be aware of when performing certain tasks?

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/CL8aPAAZXc3ZPBpmuzHaTnV

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 03:15 PM

...when performing certain tasks?

Without knowing what those tasks are, it would certainly be difficult, if not impossible, to say.

#5 auto1571

auto1571
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 324 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 04:06 PM

...when performing certain tasks?

Without knowing what those tasks are, it would certainly be difficult, if not impossible, to say.

Like one being transferring data from the iomega drive and another possibly upgrading to Windows 10 on it.

#6 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:50 PM

1.  Transferring data to or from your Iomega drive shouldn't be a problem for your specs.

2.  By now, all Windows 7 users should have a GWX icon in their system tray bugging them to reserve or upgrade to Windows 10.  The GWX app will also check to see if your hardware is compatible.  If you don't see this GWX icon it could be that you don't have KB2919355 installed for one reason or another.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 27 February 2016 - 06:30 PM

For copying, moving folders and files, I found FreeCommander XE -- installed, and it appears to be quite good.  Now, if you're talking backup images -- many recommend Macrium Reflect, free or pay-for.

Edited by RolandJS, 27 February 2016 - 06:30 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users