Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

bitdefender vs. Eset & Emsisoft

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 bob n steve

bob n steve

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 27 February 2016 - 07:38 AM

hi folks!

first time posting here.  i have been following this blog for months, but have been too intimidated to post a question.  i am a VERY unsophisticated computer user.  but i feel it's time to "put on my big-boy underpants" and drop my insecurities, so here goes.....

i have an HP Pavilion 23 desktop.  when i bought it, the folks at Staples had me sign up for a 2-year contract with TotalDefense for my AV.  within a couple of months, i believed that there was something nefarious lurking in my computer.  so i wandered the web, came across iYogi, who did a scan and told me how infected my computer already was, and for a mere $450 i would have three years of stress-free computer usage with their assistance through remote access.  

that was almost 2 years ago.  and now it's time to renew my TotalDefense, or get something else.  after reading this blog, i think something else would be in order.  i think all i am looking for is anti-virus, anti-malware and a firewall combo.

i have narrowed my list to two, based on blog postings:  Bitdefender and Eset/Emsisoft.  i would really appreciate your ideas about which direction i might go....

i also am feeling that this whole iYogi thing might (at best) be a waste of money, and (at worst) be an invitation to disaster.  any thoughts?  and if the consensus is to run screaming from iYogi, how can i best rid my computer of all its tentacles.....

sorry for the long posting.  and thanks for your thoughts....

bob

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 27 February 2016 - 07:50 AM

Drop IYogi, useless.

This is what I personally use on my machine, you would have to surely disable something to become infected. All are free except Zemana, which is twenty a year. I have thrown over 250 malware samples gathered from the "Wild" and from certain places, at this setup nothing has gotten through. So for the average user this setup should be close to bullet proof.

Zemana Premium Realtime protection main AV, with pandora activated.
Tiny Firewall -- Addition to built in firewall.
Ublock Origin - Fan boys Ultimate list added.
Ghostery - Set to block All trackers & cookies
Voodoo Shield - to help with unknowns.
Firefox main browser
Self destructing cookies Browser Add-on
Privazer to clean up.
Ccleaner to manage startups and scheduled task.
Patch My PC To keep software up to date.
Destroy Windows Spying To keep your privacy in check.

A side note, you can post in the Am I Infected forum to get a check up, or the virus removal area. Have them clean up your machine if it is running slowly.

Edit: This is also a very very lite setup.

Edited by InadequateInfirmity, 27 February 2016 - 07:57 AM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,595 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 07:53 AM

Total Defense Internet Security is a suite. Most Internet Security products include anti-virus and firewall protection plus various other features depending on the software vendor...and for those reasons it is called a Security suite.

I'm not an advocate of suites. All-in-one tools and suites are filled with extra features (including "bells & whistles") which typically use more system resources...leaving a larger footprint...and they typically cost more money. Suites tend to have varying degrees of strengths and weaknesses accorded for each feature they incorporate. Internet Security Suites include a Firewall component, which IMO is unnecessary since the Windows built-in firewall is one of the best and provides adequate protection. Further, many folks also use a router which is essentially a hardware firewall.

In contrast, separate tools are designed, built and maintained with a greater focus in a specific area so they are generally of better quality, more effective at what they are designed to do and leave a smaller footprint. This means the program's performance for that particular feature is usually superior than their all-in-one counterpart. Further, all-in-one tools generally do not allow the user as much flexibility in tailoring program settings and usage.If you are adamant about using a suite, then I would recommend one of the following:See my comments at the bottom of Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools as to why I recommend Emsisoft.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 bob n steve

bob n steve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:05 AM

thanks so much for your quick replies!  

InadequateInfirmity, i appreciate the "push" you gave me.  i just uninstalled anything related to iYogi.  to be honest, i know that i have 18 months left on the paid contract, so that if i should want to use them again, i can re-install.  but my plan at this time is to switch my antivirus program to something i feel more confident in--and then see if i can deal with anything that comes along without the iYogi crutch--with the help of this Community of course.

to that end....

thanks, quietman7, for your insights into security suites.  it makes sense to me to use only those tools that i need, and not to weigh down my computer with unneeded stuff.  for instance, i have no kids--so i don't need a Parental Guidance tool, and i don't do any social media, so i don't need a Social Media Protector.  and with your advice on the Windows 10 built-in firewall, i don't need that either.

as far as antivirus and anti-malware, i read some blog entries which are adamant about having both.  and yet, on the Emsisoft site, it says that it takes care of both antivirus and anti-malware.  am i reading that correctly?  and yet they sell an antivirus called Eset.  if i purchase their Emsisoft, is the Eset good for added protection, or a waste of money and resources? i would really appreciate your guidance.

and once i hear what your recommendation is--what else would i need beyond that?  i like the idea of only using those tools that are necessary.  i just have a fear of leaving out something that i SHOULD have....

thanks again!!

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 11:30 AM

so i wandered the web, came across iYogi, who did a scan and told me how infected my computer already was, and for a mere $450 i would have three years of stress-free computer usage with their assistance through remote access...

Wow... 150 bucks a year!!  I would have loved to see what that scan found but I guess it's a bit late for that.

i also am feeling that this whole iYogi thing might (at best) be a waste of money, and (at worst) be an invitation to disaster.  any thoughts?  and if the consensus is to run screaming from iYogi, how can i best rid my computer of all its tentacles.....

Personally, I wouldn't even trust iYogi with my garbage but you could take a read of what other people have to say and make a judgement yourself.  Also, you haven't told us what those "tentacles" are so we can't advise you.  I think a trip to Am I infected? What do I do? would be advisable.

#6 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 27 February 2016 - 12:33 PM

If you use Emsisoft then ESET would be unnecessary (they are two different vendors).

For additional protection, something like Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit (which blocks exploits) would be a good idea.

#7 bob n steve

bob n steve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:19 PM

thanks to Sintharius and Agouti for your assistance!!

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,595 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 02:07 PM

...as far as antivirus and anti-malware, i read some blog entries which are adamant about having both.  and yet, on the Emsisoft site, it says that it takes care of both antivirus and anti-malware.  am i reading that correctly?

Essentially that is correct. An anti-virus program alone does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. Anti-virus software is inherently reactive...meaning it usually finds malware after a computer has been infected. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats.

In simplistic terms, Anti-virus programs use massive databases with different scanning engines and detection methods to scan for infectious malware which includes viruses, worms, Trojans, rootkis and bots.
Anti-malware programs use smaller databases and generally tend to focus more on adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers, potentially unwanted programs and potentially unsafe applications.
Anti-virus and Anti-malware solutions with anti-exploitation features protect against zero-day malware, drive-by downloads, exploits and Exploit Kits.

Emsisoft Anti-Malware is an antivirus platform that includes anti-malware protection which uses two scanning engines and three security levels (or layers) of protection. As such, you really don't need ESET if using EAM. However, I would still recommend using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware along with EAM.

#9 bob n steve

bob n steve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 02:11 PM

thanks, quietman7.  you and everyone here have been really helpful!!

#10 bob n steve

bob n steve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 03:19 PM

"However, I would still recommend using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware along with EAM."

one more question, quietman7.  are you suggesting that i purchase and run the premium edition of Malwarebytes, and have that run concurrently with Emsisoft?  i'm happy to do that, if that is your recommendation.  thanks!

#11 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 03:40 PM

Just an FYI Malwarebytes is in the shadow of Zemana Antimalware.... If you were to purchase something for added protection, then I would certainly use Zemana Over Malwarebytes.  IMO :)

#12 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 27 February 2016 - 03:53 PM

Until there is some kind of test that confirms the effectiveness of both software, I'd say to use both. MBAM has a free version that you can use for on-demand scanning, and Zemana AM does too. Emsisoft can handle real time protection fine on its own, providing that you pay attention to what you do on the internet.

If you want to purchase something other than EAM, I would recommend HitmanPro.Alert. It is a multi-purpose proactive protection tool that offers antiexploit, defense against crypto ransomware etc. and works well with other AV and AM software.

Edited by Sintharius, 27 February 2016 - 03:54 PM.

#13 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 04:12 PM

"Until there is some kind of test that confirms the effectiveness of both software" 

I have tested at least a thousand malware samples. I can tell you for sure 100% Malwarebytes is far behind Zemana for malware in the "wild". I speak from experience. Not just pulling words from thin air....

Edited by InadequateInfirmity, 27 February 2016 - 04:12 PM.

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,595 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 04:59 PM

...one more question, quietman7.  are you suggesting that i purchase and run the premium edition of Malwarebytes, and have that run concurrently with Emsisoft?  i'm happy to do that, if that is your recommendation.

That is my recommendation since the Premium version offers additional real-time protection but as with anti-virus solutions you will get varying opinions.

With that said, I have never used Zemana AM so you would have to rely on opinions by others who use it. I can say that I have not heard any negative reviews of Zemana.

#15 bob n steve

bob n steve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:13 PM

wow!  lots to think about!  and you each have given me a better sense of self-confidence that i can rely on this blog for assistance, without turning over access to my computer remotely....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users