Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD won't work but only in my desktop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Karzahni

Karzahni

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:52 AM

Since I went from Linux Mint to Windows 7, my HDD for storage no longer works. It took ages to boot Win7 with it connected, or sometimes not at all. With the HDD disconnected and only the SSD boot drive, it takes seconds. It will not show up in the BIOS. The HDD is NTFS, as I had Windows 10 prior to Mint, and never formatted it. The HDD works in my Dell OptiPlex running CentOS. I ran SeaTools and the long test revealed bad sectors. It was unable to repair it, so I tried wiping it, (backed up important files first) but the desktop still won't boot when it is connected.

The drive is a Seagate Momentus 2.5" 7200rpm 750GB from a 2010 Dell XPS laptop.

The desktop:

MSI 970 Gaming Motherboard

AMD FX-8350

2x4 GB RAM

Corsair Force LX 128 GB SSD

EVGA SuperNOVA 750W PSU

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit

The OptiPlex:

Dell OptiPlex 780

Intel Core 2 Duo

2x2 GB RAM

3 HDDs

CentOS 6.7

Currently running SeaTools long test on the blank HDD. (It's been going a while, last time it failed immediately, so it looks as it may pass)

Thanks.

"A lizard in the desert wouldn't eat that." ~Gordon Ramsay

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:54 AM

Any failure (short or long test) of SeaTools...IMO, is a signal to buy a replacement drive.

Louis

#3 Karzahni

Karzahni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:37 PM

Any failure (short or long test) of SeaTools...IMO, is a signal to buy a replacement drive.

Louis

Yeah I'm guessing it's dead. Odd that it works in CentOS (I mean, I could access everything on it fine when I plugged it in to the OptiPlex)

The SeaTools long test was actually frozen the second time. I retried and it failed saying the drive was not responding to commands.

I need to sort out what I'm doing for my new server and I'll buy a new larger SSD for my desktop at the same time. The current one has 2GB free... (I only need room for an OS and programs on my local drives, I have 2 TB of NAS to use for just storage) It'd be good to get the HDD going though, to buy me more time.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 28 February 2016 - 02:13 PM

Well...IMO, hard drives seldom fail all at once, with no warning.  That might explain why it appears to be fine in System A, but unreliable in System B.  It could also be the connection that is the problem...if you see Event Viewer input/output errors, that would be a clue.  Cables do go bad and connections can become loosened.

I would consider the diagnostic results, particularly so if you run the diagnostic on a system that appears to have no problem with the drive.

Louis

#5 Karzahni

Karzahni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2016 - 04:48 AM

Okay thanks. I tested the connections and tried the other SATA cable in the MSI. 1 TB drives are only $60 on NewEgg.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users