Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Screen fades to white @ startup, stuck in never ending loop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 brokenaspiree17

brokenaspiree17

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 27 February 2016 - 12:47 AM

I bought a brand new Acer Aspire E17,  Model #: ES1-711-P1UV.  After about 3 months of use I noticed that I had files in my system that I thought looked a little sketchy.  Things with extensions that windows did not recognize as well as common windows programs showing "Unknown" as the publisher when launching the program instead of Microsoft.  There were files that were encoded in crazy characters that were illegible, but I would see fragments of my web history etc within the files.  I was pretty sure I had some form of spyware, virus or something so I downloaded Malwarebytes, FRST, and TDDSkiller.  After scanning everything with each, it appeared that other than some tracking cookies my system was still uncompromised.  But i noticed while reviewing my logs from FRST that it looked like i had system files that were being redirected... instead of saying like c:\windows\...... it said something that just seemed to not look legit.

I also noticed that I had quite a few files that were not digitally signed.  Now, i know that every archived support on Bleepingcomputer says in big letters something like, "WARNING!  Do not try these fixes on your own pc.  These steps were specifically for the person who started the thread."

But being significantly computer literate, knowing how to research extensively and troubleshoot problems, I thought that maybe the rules didnt apply to me.  After hours of searching google, forums etc and coming up empty handed i decided what the heck ill just try to use FRST's fix box and if anything messes up then i reformat.  Not my brightest decision.

After i finished with FRST, i didnt reboot my pc as I still had updates i wanted to install etc etc.....well life happened for 3-4 days while my pc sat plugged up and on working fine.  That night, my 1 and a half year old son managed to push my laptop off the couch while i was grabbing his dinner and it feel to the floor, closing on the way down.  I picked it up, sat it on my desk and went back to my evening.  When i finally went to use my laptop the next day, the battery had died.  I plugged it in and let it charge for a few and finally turned it on.  It started right up but as soon as it loaded the first acer logo screen, my screen flickered and over the next 2 seconds faded to completely white.  The fading started from the edges of the laptop screen and worked its way in and withing 2-3 seconds all I could see was white.

I grabbed my second laptop and did a quick google search for white screen during boot and saw results ranging from white screen of death virus to lcd video cable problems to video driver problems etc.  I decided to boot it into safe mode hoping i would eliminate any chance of something random causing the problem, but i didnt quite realize that doing so would disable my ability to use my hdmi out to my monitor.  Oops.  After a couple of attempts at restarting hoping it would boot normally failed, i removed the power cord, battery, cmos battery.  I let it sit for a few minutes, replaced the cmos battery,  held the power button for about 60-80 seconds, released it, plugged in the power cord with the battery still disconnected and hit  the power button.  i heard everything kick in, fans, hd, etc, saw my acer screen and it faded to white again and I couldnt see anything else.  I held the power button until it shut down, reinstalled the battery, rebooted, same result.  I reconnected my hdmi cable and second monitor and couldnt get it to display anything on my second monitor even after attempts using function F4 (my laptop models video output hotkey).  Frustrated I closed my laptop.

A few seconds after closing my lid, the second monitor came up showing that my pc was performing startup repair.  now it just continues to try startup repair, fails, reboots, and loops endlessly in startup repair/boot.  each time i see my acer logo screen before it fades to solid white.  After hours and hours searching the net, I pretty much know all the common White screen causes and have tried to trouble shoot each one.   I disassembled my laptop completely, removed my LCD video cable, checked for any obvious damage or kinks.  I reassembled everything, screen still goes white.  Moving or flexing the monitor does NOT make the screen come back on.  Putting pressure on the back of the monitor lid where the cable connects does NOT make the screen come back on.

Nothing I have tried so far has brought my screen back to normal from the white screen other than restarting my pc.  Then i see my acer screen, fade to white all over again.  for the 2-3 seconds that my monitor works perfectly, there is no sign of damage or anything that would make me think my screen is bad or broken.  Im hoping the white screen is due to a bad lcd video cable and i can just swap it out, but most reports ive seen of people who had their video cable go bad were able to touch or move it and their display came back on.   They also typically have screens that go instantly white vs fading to white over 2-3 seconds as mine does.

So I guess my questions are as follows:
1.  Is there any way I can figure out if it is related to the video cable, or possibly from missing system files or drivers.
2.  How can i recover from the endless startup repair loop so that I can try using the advanced boot option to reinstall windows in an attempt to fix any missing driver cause, as well as be able to use my laptop with a HDMI connected monitor long enough to back up my files before scrapping my brand new laptop :/
3.  Does it sound like the cause was more likely related to misuse of FRST, or due to falling off the couch.  
4.  Is my laptop salvageable?

I know that this thread was somewhat long winded.  Thank you for any help or direction!

Edited by hamluis, 27 February 2016 - 10:46 AM.
Edited for readability - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:45 AM

FWIW:  FRST is a tool used for malware.  If you have or suspect that you have a malware problem, the proper thing to do would be to initiate a topic in the MRL forum, following Steps 6-8 of Preparation Guide, Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html.

Louis

#3 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 06 April 2016 - 05:07 PM

does the screen fades white when you disconnect the hard drive and boot it without it?

Don't even think about it if your not sure

#4 brokenaspiree17

brokenaspiree17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 02 May 2016 - 02:12 AM

Yes with the harddrive disconnected, i power up only to see a message letting me know there is no hard drive found before the screen glitches and dissolves to solid white

#5 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 02 May 2016 - 04:26 AM

When you disconnect the hard drive you also disconnect any malware & any problems with missing files  - so you now know you have are hardware problem caused by the fall from the couch. Whether the unit is salvageable depends on the actual damage. To get your files off this computer the simplest way would probably be to remove the hard drive & use a USB to SATA adapter to access the drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users