Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to get rid of unnecessary files on HDD that formerly contained OS?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 StevieG87

StevieG87

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 26 February 2016 - 09:03 PM

Hello! So I recently upgraded my computer and installed my Windows 7 OS on a new SSD. I bought a smaller SSD with the intentions of using that for JUST the OS and using my original HDD for my documents and installed programs.

The issue I'm having is that the old hard drive still has all of the Windows OS files in it, as it existed before I added the SSD. I want to keep my personal documents and installed programs on there (e.g., Adobe Suite, Microsoft Office, Steam, 7zip, etc), while removing any files that I no longer need. 

Where would I even start with this? Is my best option just to temporarily move the files I want to an external hard drive and wipe the HDD? I'd prefer not to, so let me know if there's anything else I can do! Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:38 PM

Moving Programs from the original drive wont work as a lot of info is within the registry.

I would of Cloned the old drive to the SSD , depending on the amount of data you had on the old would fit on the new SSD.

Otherwise do a cleanup of the old to remove what you dont need and then do the clone.

Once the cloning is done swap out the drives and you should be good to go.

If all goes well with the SSD and Windows Booting plus accessing personal data etc , you can then wipe the old Drive and transfer Docs / Pics etc from the SSD to the Old Formatted Drive.

Some Info : Operating System / SSD Make / Hard Drive Sizes  etc ?

Most SSD come with Programs for Cloning as my 500 Gig Samsung Evo did { Magician } but i used Mini Tool Partition Magic to do the Clone.

I have Windows on C:\ 100 Gig  and 2nd Partition is D:\ 400 Gig  for personal files etc.

You can run programs installed on other drives , i just prefer to keep all on the C:Drive with Windows , then when i image the drive later its complete and up to date if needed to restore.

Edited by Havachat, 26 February 2016 - 11:42 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:26 AM

Any programs installed on the old hard drive with Windows...will not work with the new install of Windows...unless such programs are reinstalled.  As noted above, the registry entries for the old install...will not transfer to the new install.

The lone exception would be if you cloned the old install to the new drive...which would seemingly defeat the purpose of your maneuvering, IMO.

I agree with Havachat about having Windows and programs installed on the same partition/drive.  IMO, putting programs on a different partition merely doubles your risk of something going wrong, from 1 partition/drive to 2.  Installed programs won't run if either the Windows partition and registry...or the partition on which you install programs...is seriously in trouble, you might as well have both parts on the same partition, IMO.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 27 February 2016 - 05:08 PM.

#4 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 27 February 2016 - 04:05 PM

The above posts are right - you'll have to reinstall your programs.  Some of the old folders on that hard drive may be hard to get rid of with Windows because some can be marked to make it very difficult to delete.  If you run into that, get hold of a Linux disc of flash drive, boot from it (note that you won't have to install anything), and use it to do the deletes.  I use Linux Mint that you can download from here: 

http://linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php .  After downloading the .ISO, burn it to a DVD and boot from it.  It has a user interface similar to Windows; you won't have to learn anything about Linux.

Good luck.7

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users