Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Limited connectivity" or how I have internet but no access!!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Stilljustme

Stilljustme

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 08:22 PM

Firstly, Hello one and all. Secondly I'll try to keep from ranting if possible as this has become rather frustrating.

I'm running a PC on WIn7, I had turned my pc off for a few days as I was going to be spending the next two weeks with my girlfriend, I went to turn my pc on and suddenly it can't connect to the internet. I just see blank little bars and an orangeish ball telling me it has limited connectivity. I connect to the internet through wireless by the way.

I checked the internet on my other devices; My gaming laptop, xbox1, phone and girlfriends ipod all have perfect connection to the internet and are able to use it without issue.

I've unplugged the modem a few times, let it cycle through. Still nothing.
I've also removed the connection and tried adding it back,still won't work.

I contacted my internet provider and they told me what I'd expected which was things are fine on their end so it must be a hardware issue. So I purchased a USB wireless. Installed, connected and..Still not a thing.

I thought about doing a restore from a date before things went bad. No such luck as no restore apparently has been made on there.

Really running out of ideas here on what I could try and do here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping I posted this in the right section as well. If not I apologize. I'll help in anyway I can if it means getting things back in working order. Thank you in advance!

Edited by Queen-Evie, 26 February 2016 - 09:23 PM.
moved from Web Browsing/Email and Other Internet Applications to Networking

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 26 February 2016 - 08:59 PM

Try the following. In the system tray right click your wireless icon and select Open Network and Sharing Center. In the left pane select Manage Wireless Networks. Click on your wireless connection and select Remove. Reboot. Left Click on the Wireless icon and click on your wireless network. Press the connect button and provide your wireless password.

#3 Stilljustme

Stilljustme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 09:35 PM

Done and done, aaand.......no. Same. It spins trying to connect then tells me "The connection was unsucceful. This computer has limited connectivty to" This is the message I get each time it tries connecting to any network now.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 09:46 PM

Right click your Wireless Adapter in Device Manager. Select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and post the first line.

Have you tried the Network Troubleshooter? Type Troubleshooter in the search box and select the Network Troubleshooter.

Edit: I would also try resetting Winsock and TCP/IP

At an elevated command prompt , CMD > Right click run as Administrator. Type the following

netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset C:\resetlog.txt

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 February 2016 - 09:49 PM.

#5 Stilljustme

Stilljustme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 09:56 PM

I have tried the Network Troubleshooter and it tells me it can't connect to help? Here's what came up on Hardware IDs:

PCI/VEN_1814&DEV_0301&SUBSYS_005517

PCI/VEN_1814&DEV_0301&SUBSYS_005517

PCI/VEN_1814&DEV_0301&cc_028000

PCI/VEN_1814&DEV_0301&cc_0280

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:04 PM

Have you tried resetting winsock and TCP/IP?

If that does not help at an elevated command prompt type

sfc /scannow

I could not find anything on that device other than a DLink linksys PCI adapter. What is the make and model of the computer? I am not sure a driver update would work as I forgot you also tried a USB dongle and that did not help either.

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 February 2016 - 10:04 PM.

#7 Stilljustme

Stilljustme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:10 PM

I tried the winsock and TCP/IP and nothing seemed to happen? I am doing the scan now, will post results when it finishes.

As for the driver update it tells me the drivers are up to date and everything is working, just not -actually- working.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:14 PM

The only other thing I can think of is to try Netadapter Repair. Make sure your wireless adapter is in the dropdown box. Press Advanced Repair. 

What is the make and model of the computer?

#9 Stilljustme

Stilljustme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:21 PM

Sorry, forgot to put the make and model. It was something put together a while back through Tigerdirect Manufacturer is Si, Model: System Product Name

scan finished found no violations it said. Going to try the Netadapter Repair you mentioned next. Thank you by the way.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:25 PM

No problem. When you used the USB wifi adapter did you disable the installed wifi adapter in Device Manager?

Edit: Can you connect using Ethernet?

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 February 2016 - 10:34 PM.

#11 Stilljustme

Stilljustme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:38 PM

I did yes. After I installed the USB wifi adapter I had disabled the internal wifi. When I found the USB wasn't working as well I'd disabled that and enabled the original onboard wifi.

Just ran Netadapter and sadly nothing. Still 'Limited Connectivity'

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:44 PM

Do you still have the USB adapter. When attached did it show any yellow exclamation mark in Device Manager? I am pretty much out of ideas, sorry.

Do you have a restore point that you can revert to? If you placed any file or folder on the desktop after the restore point date, move it to My Documents.

In my edited post can you connect via Ethernet?

#13 Stilljustme

Stilljustme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:54 PM

Moved my pc over closer to connect it via ethernet. No net there either :( There are no restore points on my pc from what I'd seen which kind of took me back a bit. On the USB adapter as well as the onboard and such there were no exclamation marks in Device Manager. That's why I said this is all a bit odd and out of my know-how as I'd not had an issue like this pop up before.

Regardless the results I still appreciate the help.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:04 PM

I will be signing off until tomorrow but try the following.

Tap F8 at boot and select Last Known Good Configuration. If that does not solve the connection issue then try the following.

I don't know how much RAM you have but if you have at least 1GB which you should because you are running Windows 7 download a linux distro and see if that connects both wirelessly and via Ethernet.

You can download Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon here. Burn the iso to DVD and boot the disk. See if it connects. If you do not have a DVD then use Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive. When running Rufus select MBR for a partition scheme. Leave all boxes as checked including Quick Format. Where you see FreeDos select iso image in the dropdown box. Click the folder icon and browse to the iso. Press Start. Backup any data on the flash drive as it will be erased.

Download Mint 17.2 here. I recommend the full download with codecs. If your OS is 32bit then use 32bit Mint

If you can connect with Mint then you may need to reinstall Windows 7 after backing up all your data. Do you have a Windows 7 install disk with key?

#15 LENTILS_2016

LENTILS_2016

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 27 February 2016 - 03:36 PM

set a static ip, disable ipv6, restart.

give that a try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users