Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wanting to build my simple website

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jbacinti

jbacinti

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 26 February 2016 - 02:12 PM

I have over the years created several Word documents where I've stored my personal recipe collection.  The documents are for example "Beef", "Pork", "Breakfast", "Vegetables", etc.  Within each document are anywhere from a couple dozen recipes to well over one hundred.

Is there an easy, inexpensive (free is good) way to get these recipes on a website in a way that someone could search it?  Perhaps someone would be looking for a BBQ recipe or a gravy recipe or a way to create some type of pork roast.  Once searched they could bookmark it or print it off.

I have never done any type of website development.  My last foray into programming was probably 35 years ago when I did some work in a subset of COBOL.  So I understand logic, formatting and basic design principles but that's about it.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

jbacinti

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Smsec

Smsec

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 04:03 PM

There's a few well known sites that offer free websites I'm aware of: 

These will all have templates you can use to get started without a lot of effort. If you want to use your own domain name, they'll likely want to convert  you to a paid plan.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 04:15 PM

If your web site takes advantage of meta tags and such, for search engine spiders, you want to consider something similar to:

<html>

<head>

<title>able college admin</title>

<meta name="description" content="able college admin.

mission statement, messages, bulletins">

<meta name="keywords" content="able college admin,

mission statement, messages, bulletins, ablecollege">

<meta name="target" content="college admin">

<meta http-equiv="Reply-to" content="[acct name];AT;[email ISP]">

<meta name="Generator" content="Jerry-Roland">

<meta name="ROBOTS" Content="NOFOLLOW" or "FOLLOW">

</head>

<body background="bckgrnd.jpg" link="#0000FF" vlink="#FF0000">

<b>

<center>able college administration</center>

<br>

The above served me well from 1994-1999, when expenses led me to close the site.

Edited by RolandJS, 26 February 2016 - 04:18 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#4 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 March 2016 - 02:07 AM

It doesn't sound to me like you really need to build a website from scratch, using a blogging service like Wordpress or Blogger would likely suffice. I'd suggest Wordpress over Blogger. If you do want to learn coding, w3schools.com is a great resource.

#5 UKHInside

UKHInside

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2016 - 02:37 PM

I might be crucified for this suggestion, but depending upon how much you enjoy delving into this, Ruby on Rails could be worth a look. The above Wordpress suggestion is also great, if not preferable, for this type of content generation. Nevertheless, Rails is easy to get started with, and a lot of fun as an introduction to webdev. There are gems available to make the creation of a good-looking website quite simple (Bootstrap, Foundation), and with the type of content you intend to put out, it would be simple enough to code. There are also gems to assist in optimizing the website for search terms.

Pair Rails w/ a free cloud development environment, like cloud9.io, and you'll have an easy (and enjoyable) time exploring the creation of your own website. The best part, too, is that you'll know how it works inside and out, and be able to make adjustments over a period of time.

Of course, if you just want to get this up with as little hassle as possible, I would certainly recommend Wordpress. This is just another suggestion to consider.

#6 Angoid

Angoid

• Security Colleague
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 23 March 2016 - 04:20 AM

Unless it's learning Web programming you're after, the blogging route would probably be the best way to go about this.

I'm not familiar with Ruby on Rails at all, but a quick Google search got me here:

https://www.railstutorial.org/book/

Looks pretty thorough.

If the sum total of your programming experience is COBOL some 35 years ago, then please be advised that programming is a VERY different ballgame now, especially where the Web is concerned.  for example, you may have to get to grips with such concepts as object-oriented programming, which can take a bit of getting used to when you first start if your background has only been in procedural languages.

You'll also have to get used to the idea that one language does not cover everything: HTML is the language understood by browsers, for formatting you'll need to know some CSS, if you want your site to be dynamic then you'll also need to understand server-side coding: for this you'll need a server-side scripting language such as Ruby on Rails or PHP, and then there's the back-end database which will typically be driven by some flavour of SQL.  And that's just for starters ... you may need more than those ultimately.

It depends on whether you want to do this just to get those recipes online somewhere, or whether you want to use it as an opportunity to learn some Web programming, or both.  It's a pretty good project to use as a learning exercise!

Helping a loved one through a mental health issue?  Remember ALGEE...

Assess the risk | Listen nonjudgementally | Give reassurance and info | Encourage professional help | Encourage self-help and support network

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users