Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Windows 10 Started Showing Ads on LockScreen

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 12:08 PM

The advertisements are turned ON for your lock screen by default, which is definitely a clever way to offer companies to reach their customers, without mentioning the word 'advertisements' to the Windows users.

If you don't want to see these intrusive ads, follow the steps given below to disable Windows Spotlight:

• Open the Start Menu and look for 'Lock Screen Settings.'
  • Under 'Background,' Choose either 'Picture' or 'Slideshow,' instead of Windows Spotlight.
  • Now, Scroll down to 'Get fun facts, tips, tricks, and more on your lock screen' and uncheck this box.

Full article: Windows 10 Started Showing Ads on LockScreen

Greets!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Markimoo

Markimoo

• Banned
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 12:26 PM

Gained a mail about this from a Dutch website. :) I don't use the lockscreen but also I disabled it. Thanks for sharing!

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,889 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 26 February 2016 - 02:44 PM

Also markaplier lookalike

Edited by Queen-Evie, 27 February 2016 - 09:24 AM.
language edit

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#4 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 08:50 AM

Apparently banned shortly after your post...  :whistle:

Greets! 

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 27 February 2016 - 11:08 AM

Ads on the lockscreen. Well, that's a nice use of bandwidth.  :rolleyes:

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,836 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 11:13 AM

Ads on the lockscreen. Well, that's a nice use of bandwidth.  :rolleyes:

Who cares about bandwidth (for the most part, anyway)?  Unless you're on true wireless it's essentially endless.

I've never had an ad on a lockscreen because I took the 10 minutes it takes to customize my privacy settings at account creation time.  Problem solved.

I get that people don't like, and have every reason not to like, ads.  I block 'em at every turn, but I'm not naive enough to believe that I won't and shouldn't have to take action to block them.  That ship sailed a long, long time ago and is in no way limited to Microsoft.  MS is, in fact, relatively late to "the game."  It's one I wished they hadn't joined, but never convinced myself they wouldn't join.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 11:21 AM

MS is, in fact, relatively late to "the game."  It's one I wished they hadn't joined, but never convinced myself they wouldn't join.

Agree, It's kind of sad what Windows is turning into, more like a phone OS. I'm old school. An OS should sit in the background unnoticed running your programs.

#8 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 11:40 AM

That was my first reaction when advertiseing for win 7 came out.  Apps what the ell if I wanted a cell phone I would have bought a cell phone.

Now days cell phones are comeing out with a bigger processor and memory than my little wanna be computer has.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 12:00 PM

That was my first reaction when advertiseing for win 7 came out.  Apps what the ell if I wanted a cell phone I would have bought a cell phone.

Now days cell phones are comeing out with a bigger processor and memory than my little wanna be computer has.

Probably why PC sales are down year over year. When you include all devices Android is king. Phones are taking the place of PCs for the majority of average users. Toshiba just announced they are leaving the European PC consumer market

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,836 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 27 February 2016 - 12:17 PM

MS is, in fact, relatively late to "the game."  It's one I wished they hadn't joined, but never convinced myself they wouldn't join.

Agree, It's kind of sad what Windows is turning into, more like a phone OS. I'm old school. An OS should sit in the background unnoticed running your programs.

Well, with the advent of Win8/8.1 it was abundantly clear to me that Microsoft wanted, and was going to create, as close as they could to cross-platform consistency in the look and feel of Windows.  

It is still my feeling that one of the reasons Windows 8/8.1 remained so widely disliked to despised on the PC platform is that it behaved entirely too much like a phone and took away virtually every bit of "the familiar action set" in its operation.  It's also miserably cumbersome (at least it is to me) to use unless you have a touch screen device.

They definitely learned from their mistakes as far as Windows 10 goes in the user interface department.  It works beautifully on tablets and phones via pure touch, on touch screen PCs, and on good, old fashioned PCs with plain jane monitors.  The laptop I'm typing from is Win10 and no touch screen.  I feel it is infinitely easier to use that my partner's Win8.1 machine with touch screen.  (And it's not like I'm unfamiliar with that Win8.1 platform as I'm the one that had to teach him to use it when he retired his WinVista laptop and leapt into Win8.1).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 12:27 PM

It is still my feeling that one of the reasons Windows 8/8.1 remained so widely disliked to despised on the PC platform is that it behaved entirely too much like a phone and took away virtually every bit of "the familiar action set" in its operation.  It's also miserably cumbersome (at least it is to me) to use unless you have a touch screen device.

I once was in Staples and went to a computer with 8/8.1. I was completely lost. My Daughter bought a computer with 8 and finally resorted to installing Classic Shell.

#12 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,002 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2016 - 01:24 PM

Post #7, well said.

One thing to note about all this though, on windows 10 users can't reject unwelcome updates, how can you know that ms might not someday release a KB update to take away the option to NOT see "fun facts, tips, tricks, and more on your lock screen".

Edited by rp88, 28 February 2016 - 01:24 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,836 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2016 - 02:32 PM

Post #7, well said.

One thing to note about all this though, on windows 10 users can't reject unwelcome updates, how can you know that ms might not someday release a KB update to take away the option to NOT see "fun facts, tips, tricks, and more on your lock screen".

You can't.   No end user is going to have that kind of control under Windows 10 (and don't under other OS-es as well).  If you cannot abide that then this is the time to switch OS-es, and there's no guarantee that you'll always have everything you like (or dislike, for that matter) about them in perpetuity.

There is nothing so constant but change.  The entities that own the various OS-es [and/or their various flavors] are the ones who will be the ultimate determiners of what will and will not exist as part of their software.  'Twas ever thus.

Edited by britechguy, 28 February 2016 - 02:33 PM.

~ Austin O'Malley

#14 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 01 March 2016 - 07:26 PM

Probably why PC sales are down year over year. When you include all devices Android is king. Phones are taking the place of PCs for the majority of average users. Toshiba just announced they are leaving the European PC consumer market.

Its been going this way for ages,thing is most people i know use a computer,they play games,do their e - mails,fiddle around,dont really even need a curser.

They dont really need a computer do they,do they manage loads of data,do digital art or processing,any programing or app creation?nope.

The good side to this is their starting to give pc s away like they were free donuts in some placees?

I never saw the start screen adds,must have locked out with the early privacy stuff,i couldnt even stand the start menu,replaced it with classic shell,put

a launcher on the desktop..presto it looks like a computer again,not an overblown phone.

Also ive massively hacked this ten..stopped updates,edge gone firewall and wifi tweaked,customized,you have to own your own system in the end and get it to do what YOU want it to do,not the corporation that sold it to you.You can do it with no loss of system stability if your mindfull.

#15 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,002 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2016 - 01:42 PM

Wolverine7, what you mean you actually found a way to get windows 10 to only download the updates you want? (Fully knocking out updates doesn't count as by doing this you might be able to avoid unwelcome updates but you'll also be unable to get security fixes (which unlike most other updates you genuinely do need).)

"The good side to this is their starting to give pc s away like they were free donuts in some placees?"
I'm not sure how common this will be actually, you see many shops are having offers like "trade in your old* pc for £X off a new...". This doesn't result in people selling off old hardware dead cheap, but rather old hardware being accumulated by shops, one wonders where the old hardware in question is going, it would be terrible (both for the sheer waste of limited resources and because much of the old hardware would be very capable if windows 7/windows 8.1/linux was installed onto it, whereas in future new hardware might be concerningly locked to only be able to boot one OS.) if all the old hardware were simply being heaped into landfill.

*And usually old in this context isn't very old, infact many of them only do the offer if the thing being traded in is less that 2 or 3 years old.

Edited by rp88, 02 March 2016 - 01:47 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users