Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Empty lines in a quote?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Markimoo

Markimoo

• Banned
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:37 AM

Hi,

When I quote someone and post my message there are a lot of 'empty lines' on the quote, is there a way to stop this? Now I have to edit them out, what is extra work. :(

See here what I mean.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:59 AM

Pretty sure that this is caused by IPB. I find it really annoying as well, hence why I'm manually typing the quote tags.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Markimoo

Markimoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 12:28 PM

Pretty sure that this is caused by IPB. I find it really annoying as well, hence why I'm manually typing the quote tags.

So Grinler can't resolve this?

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,474 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 12:42 PM

I don't know if he can, but to me it seems like it's coming straight from the software (IPB), so if it is, I doubt he can do anything about it.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Markimoo

Markimoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 01:14 PM

Any solution you have for now?

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,474 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 01:54 PM

To remove the empty line manually, or type the quote tags instead of using the built-in feature. Anyway, it's rare that when you quote a post, you need everything in it. Usually you need a certain sentence or word.

unite_blue.png

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 26 February 2016 - 01:55 PM

It's a 'feature of the forum software, and no there isn't a way to resolve it.

The only way I know of is to manually type your quotes such as:

Quote by Markimoo: "Any solution you have for now?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 Markimoo

Markimoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 02:11 PM

It's a 'feature of the forum software, and no there isn't a way to resolve it.

The only way I know of is to manually type your quotes such as:

Quote by Markimoo: "Any solution you have for now?

Haha! I like that, I think I'll go for your suggestion! :P

#9 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 26 February 2016 - 02:14 PM

I deal with it by toggling the WYSIWYG off, going to the end of the quote tag, and pressing delete. Then I toggle the WYSIWYG back on. Or I toggle the WYSIWYG on and off to see if it'll happen, and just put my cursor in its place and hit delete if it does. I'm pretty sure it's the IPB software, I've dealt with similar issues on other forums before.

So Grinler can't resolve this?

Theoretically, anyone could. It requires digging into the source code of IPB, debugging it, and then reporting it to Invision to patch. If you know some PHP, you can even dig into it yourself with a trial license. Seems an awful time-sink.

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic]

ransomnotecleaner-25.png RansomNoteCleaner - Remove Ransom Notes Left Behind [Support Topic]

cryptosearch-25.pngCryptoSearch - Find Files Encrypted by Ransomware [Support Topic]

If I have helped you and you wish to support my ransomware fighting, you may support me here.

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 26 February 2016 - 04:19 PM

Seems an awful time-sink.

Pretty much sums it up. Plus in the past we have gone the 'franken forum' route. When it comes time to update the forum software, maintaining all the hacks is created to customize is a daunting task. So we have decided that minimal high need mods will take precedence. With the size of the forums now. We don't have the luxury of tweaking the software as much as we would ideally like.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users