Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Internet Access

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lvstotrvl

lvstotrvl

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:10 AM

I have a Compaq Laptop with windows 7. I had to buy and install a new battery, now I cannot get into the internet. I have wifi, as you can see. ( I am on my desk top ) My laptop says I have no access? I have no idea how to do that.

Also, when I shut the laptop down & then restart I cannot get to my home page, I get a brown screen with a large Q, the only way I can get off that is remove the battery then reinstall!! Any help you can give me will be so appreciated.

Anne

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Markimoo

Markimoo

• Banned
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:13 AM

Hello,

About the internet, are your wireless drivers installed? If you give me the exact model of the computer I can help you find the correct driver.

I get a brown screen with a large Q, the only way I can get off that is remove the battery then reinstall!

Can you explain this some more? Also it's not recommed to remove the battery while your laptop is active. Also, did you re-install your Windows?

Edited by Markimoo, 26 February 2016 - 11:13 AM.

#3 lvstotrvl

lvstotrvl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:27 AM

I'm sorry, I don't know what wireless drivers are? I'll tell you now, I am not computer smart, at all.  I did shut down the pc before I removed the battery tho. How would I reinstall Windows?

The model is- Compaq Presario CQ62-219WM with Intel Celeron 900 & Windows 7 Home Premium. I bought this in 2010, I know it's old but I really like it.

#4 Markimoo

Markimoo

• Banned
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:35 AM

Hello again,

I'm sorry, I don't know what wireless drivers are?

No problem. Wikipedia can explain you what drivers are.

The model is- Compaq Presario CQ62-219WM with Intel Celeron 900 & Windows 7 Home Premium. I bought this in 2010, I know it's old but I really like it.

Allright. I've found some wireless drivers, since I don't know what wireless card you have I'll share them all. Please let me know if one worked and which one.

I did shut down the pc before I removed the battery tho

Sorry I didn't know that, thanks for telling me. Then there is no need to panic. ;)

How would I reinstall Windows?

If you have the orginal Windows installation stuff it would be easy, but since there is no need for it I think it's better to not explain it, just to don't make it harder then it is already for you. I can always give you some usefull information if you want. :)

*moderator edit (Queen-Evie): direct download links removed. From here

Posting of direct downloads links for any software is NOT permitted from file uploading/downloading hosting sites, personal sites and file sharing sites. This is for the safety of our members since Bleeping Computer has no control of files hosted at such sites.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 26 February 2016 - 02:25 PM.
deleted direct download links.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 26 February 2016 - 02:19 PM

I want to mention something very basic to check.
Look at the F12 key on the laptop keyboard.
Is it amber or white?
If amber, press the key to enable wireless connection.

If you have not already done this:
Go to Control Panel.
Open Network and Sharing Center.
What does it say under Wifi?
If Disabled, RIGHT click on the Wifi and choose Enable in the menu.

You can check to see if the drivers are installed.

Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management.

Click Device Manager on the left side.

Expand Network Adapters.

Is there a yellow triangle next to your wireless network adapter device?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 26 February 2016 - 02:33 PM.

#6 lvstotrvl

lvstotrvl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 08:18 AM

Hello again,

I'm sorry, I don't know what wireless drivers are?

No problem. Wikipedia can explain you what drivers are.

Allright. I've found some wireless drivers, since I don't know what wireless card you have I'll share them all. Please let me know if one worked and which one.

I did shut down the pc before I removed the battery tho

Sorry I didn't know that, thanks for telling me. Then there is no need to panic. ;)

How would I reinstall Windows?

If you have the orginal Windows installation stuff it would be easy, but since there is no need for it I think it's better to not explain it, just to don't make it harder then it is already for you. I can always give you some usefull information if you want. :)

*moderator edit (Queen-Evie): direct download links removed. From here

Posting of direct downloads links for any software is NOT permitted from file uploading/downloading hosting sites, personal sites and file sharing sites. This is for the safety of our members since Bleeping Computer has no control of files hosted at such sites.

Thank you for trying to help, I have given up trying to fix the laptop. I didn't realize how little I knew. I dropped it off to be fixed.

#7 lvstotrvl

lvstotrvl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 08:21 AM

I want to mention something very basic to check.
Look at the F12 key on the laptop keyboard.
Is it amber or white?
If amber, press the key to enable wireless connection.

If you have not already done this:
Go to Control Panel.
Open Network and Sharing Center.
What does it say under Wifi?
If Disabled, RIGHT click on the Wifi and choose Enable in the menu.

You can check to see if the drivers are installed.

Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management.

Click Device Manager on the left side.

Expand Network Adapters.

Is there a yellow triangle next to your wireless network adapter device?

Thanks for your advise, I could not get to my home page to do anything you suggested. I just had a blank screen. I've sent it out to be fixed.

Edited by hamluis, 02 March 2016 - 08:08 AM.

#8 lvstotrvl

lvstotrvl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:10 AM

Thanks, I took it to the computer store, they said my Windows had crashed. They wanted $200 to fix it!! I only paid $300, 6 years ago. I destroyed it....Thanks to all of you for trying to help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users