Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do YOU keep up with security issues of the day?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
43 replies to this topic

#1 GataPandu

GataPandu

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 26 February 2016 - 09:46 AM

Krebs on Security http://krebsonsecurity.com/ seems to be a blog for 'security news that you can use'. The word 'you' here stands for a practitioner of safe computing.

Are there any other sources that keep YOU up to date on the security issues of the day?

Edited by GataPandu, 26 February 2016 - 09:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 26 February 2016 - 09:53 AM

Too many to list.

Antivirus and Antimalware blogs, IT Security blogs, IT News websites, follow all of them on Twitter, follow security researchers on Twitter, etc. Basically, use the same resources as you do to get any other normal news, but for IT.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 GataPandu

GataPandu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:07 AM

I can only spend 15 to 30 minutes per day on the average, hence I am looking for suggestions to make best use of the limited time.

#4 razor92

razor92

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:25 AM

Twitter  :bananas:

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,474 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:26 AM

Then I would say that following Antivirus, Antimalware, Security Researchers and IT Security Blogs on Twitter is the most efficient way. You could also set up a RSS feed for all that.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,937 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:43 AM

These are some resources I use to stay informed about security, current threats and malware infections.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 GataPandu

GataPandu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 12:09 PM

Oh wow, this indicates to me the need for a 'Daily safe computing digest for the rest of us'. It would list the top 10 topics of the day with a 2 line teaser and a link. I myself would probably look at 1 to 3 links each day, can't afford more time than that.

FWIW, I looked at Google Alerts, none of the keywords that I tried are very useful. For example, I very much prefer to be warned about the latest email phishing tricks over Apple vs FBI. I think a human (rather than a machine) has to cherry-pick the topics for such a digest.

BTW, quietman, your second link leads elsewhere.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,474 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 12:11 PM

For example, I very much prefer to be warned about the latest email phishing tricks over Apple vs FBI. I think a human (rather than a machine) has to cherry-pick the topics for such a digest.

ZDNet is one of the fastest to cover such news. ArsTechnica isn't bad either, so are The Register and TechRepublic.

unite_blue.png

#9 GataPandu

GataPandu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 12:57 PM

What I meant was a 'push top 10 in a daily digest to me' rather than me having to pull from too many sources with each source having too many entries.

The need for daily digests exists for safe computing and many, many other areas. I currently subscribe to some of those daily digests in some of the other areas, I am looking for one on safe computing if it exists or if I can entice someone to do it :) But seriously, such a digest could attract clients, similar to blogs, important for the professionals here.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,937 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 01:13 PM

Everyone has there favorite security sites. It is impossible for any one of them to cover all topics so some are geared more toward security technology while others write specifically about malware. You narrow down the list by choosing which areas you are interested in.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,474 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 01:53 PM

What you are suggesting can be accomplished via RSS feeds, you just need to set them up properly.

Edited by Aura, 26 February 2016 - 01:53 PM.

unite_blue.png

#12 GataPandu

GataPandu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 03:44 PM

What you are suggesting can be accomplished via RSS feeds, you just need to set them up properly.

That's apparently not possible. RSS only addresses the push vs pull issue, but RSS does not address the important issue of filtering for useful safe computing issues for the rest of us (like the spear fishing threats of the day) The filtering issue is important to avoid wasting time.

I mentioned earlier the example of Google Alert producing useless results no matter what the keywords are (producing Apple vs FBI and a host of other lofty, fluffy and time-wasting topics for the rest of us)

I think a human is needed to do the important filtering and produce a time-conserving 'daily safe computing digest for the rest of us'. I believe that producing such a digest incurs less work than a blog that produces original work. It maybe less work because it has only links with 2 line teasers. Of course, the digest producer has to be very aware of what is going on in safe computing and convey that awareness to the digest readers.

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,474 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 03:45 PM

In that case, maybe you could do it, since it looks that everyone else is okay with their current method of getting information. I'll still side with my Twitter idea, it really is the easiest.

unite_blue.png

#14 Smsec

Smsec

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 04:24 PM

While this isn't a daily news source, SANS, a highly regarded security research and training group. publishes a monthly security awareness newsletter. http://securingthehuman.sans.org/resources/newsletters/ouch/2016#january2016

You can sign up for their email list and get notified when a new issue is released.

#15 GataPandu

GataPandu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 04:31 PM

In that case, maybe you could do it, since it looks that everyone else is okay with their current method of getting information. I'll still side with my Twitter idea, it really is the easiest.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I am not one of the many experts/professionals here on BC. I am one of 'the rest of us', wishing to be alerted to 1 to 3 topical issues out of 10, rather than having to wade through 100 articles every day.

Some experts/professionals here already wade through 100 articles every day anyway, and will want to reduce that to 10 links with 2 line teasers.

There is certainly a need for such a daily safe computing digest. There are many, many preventable issues right here on BC. Just make it easy for 'the rest of us' and more will practice safe computing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users