Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File Sharing Structure Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 thebus71h

thebus71h

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 26 February 2016 - 09:22 AM

Currently setting up a server with WSE2012 R2 on it. We are using right now an older machine with Server 2003 on it, and are switching over. I'm trying to figure out the best way to do the file structure for sharing. We do not want to use virtual machines. Currently we are using Windows 7 on the majority of computers, and Windows 10 on a few of those. The way it's setup now is we have a script that logs each computer onto the server upon start up with the server drive mapped to the computer. We run a piece of software with data connected to it thru that server. There are certain files/folders that we want certain people not to have access to. 

I would like for each computer to login as they currently are, but certain computers have certain folders mapped to their drive. For example:

A-Group - All Folders on server

B-Group - A, B, C, D, E folders on server

C-Group - A, B, C folders

I'm sure the way to do it is simple, but from the research I've done so far, seems more extensive than what I'm looking to do.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,968 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 26 February 2016 - 09:38 AM

Hi :welcome: to BleepingComputer,

From your post I did not realize how the shares are presently.

Only one folder shared with all those folders A, B, C, D, E inside?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 thebus71h

thebus71h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 26 February 2016 - 09:43 AM

Correct. 

The main C: drive has all of the folders inside of it. Currently the entire C: is mapped.

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,968 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:43 AM

In that case I think the best option is to create the Groups A, B, C on the server then give the appropriated permissions to each group on the folders A, B, C, D, E, don't forget that windows will apply first the deny permissions if you use them.

Next put the users in the groups.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 28 February 2016 - 12:56 PM

No one should have access to all of the servers files.  Not only is this not standard operating procedure but is a huge security risk.  Any of your users get infected they in turn will infect the entire server..  Your only hope is you have tested-as-good backups.

You have no home folders for uses mentioned.  This again is not SOP and does not encourage users to store their data files on the server where they would be backed up nightly.

You asked about structure, which is a very important question and concept to understand when sharing, yet you provide no structure.

For example is ABC... each nested under the other?  If so that is a problem with sharing from the gitgo.

Normally you create  a share aptly called something like Share.  This is your root [never c: !!!]

Ignoring group A since that would be the Administrator(s) anyway, Then you have under the root B, C, D, etc. shares.  You do not share the root.

You create your member groups of Group B and C. No user is in two or more groups.  You assign each group to each share with Modify [never full control since that comes with more permissions then they need]

This is the easy way based on a flat structure.

It gets more complicated on a nested structure.  For example you could assign both groups B and C to the A share.  Assuming permissions are set to inherit [default], you would need to stop inheritance at the D and E levels.  Then you would remove group C from D and E while confirming group B had its assignments to the D and E levels.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users