Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need advice on upgrading network.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 waldojim42

waldojim42

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 26 February 2016 - 05:58 AM

Currently my home network looks like this:

I have several attatched PC's - 3 desktops (one the streaming media center), 2 laptops, 1 printer and 1 VmWare ESXi server (HP ML350 Gen 6), And 4 game systems.

I have a Comcast modem connected to a NetGear Prosafe SRXN3205 and a 5 port Gig-E unmanaged switch at the server (connection to 4 Gig-E ports on the server - as they are separated per vm).

I have recently upgraded to 150Mbit service (namely for the 10M upload) and recently found out that the Prosafe only supports Lan-Wan throughput of 60Mbps. Kinda slow.

So I am looking to upgrade. In the past, I have used consumer, and quasi-business gear with disastrous results. Namely, I end up replacing that consumer gear within a few months when they cook themselves. I asked some folks on Reddit, and basically came up with a Mikrotik + AP solution... but with the reviews I am seeing, I am not too keep on that idea.

Right now, I am thinking about going with the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite, Ubiquiti AP, and a NetGear Prosafe GS108E.

What do you guys think? I was going to go this route for the added headroom, and I think most of this equipment will last. Any other ideas? For that matter, any ideas to help bring the cost down? I can swing this, but I am getting kind of tired of $200+ every few years for network gear.

Laptop: Alienware 14 : Intel i7 4700mq : 8GB ram : Nvidia GTX 765 : 256GB Plextor M3 : 1080P IPS display

Test rig: AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 4.0Ghz : MSI 970A-G46 : 8GB Ram : 128GB Plextor M5s : 2x AMD 5770's (Flashed to 6770) : PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 : Pioneer BR

Hackintosh : Gigabyte GA-H61m : Intel Celeron @ 3Ghz : 8GB ram : EVGA GTX 550Ti : Patriot Torx 2 64GB : Silverstone Strider ES-50 : OSX Mavericks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users