Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malicious Popup won't go away!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 Toller

Toller

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 25 February 2016 - 11:25 PM

I am using Edge on Windows10.

A popup told me I had a virus; unless I called a 800 number immediately I would lose all my private information.I couldn't close the window except by crashing it with task manager. Nothing happens when I click on the X in the upper right, or right click on the Edge icon on the bottom; both of which normally closes the program.

Whenever I open Edge it comes up with the popup.  (maybe it is not really a popup, but that is what it looks like)

I can open a second window that works properly, but cannot close the window with the popup. 

It hasn't changed my homepage; that comes up when I open a second window.

Four different virus products say I don't have a virus.

For the moment I am using Internet Explorer, but all my favorites are on Edge.

Any idea how I can fix this?  There is an "Okay" button at the bottom of the popup, but I kinda think clinking on that would be a bad idea.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nasdaq

nasdaq

• Malware Response Team
  • 39,497 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 26 February 2016 - 09:45 AM

Hello, Welcome to BleepingComputer.
I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.

If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps in the order listed.
===

A popup told me I had a virus; unless I called a 800 number immediately I would lose all my private information.

This is a hoax do not call that number.

===

Some suggestions for resetting Edge browser:
Look on the address bar for the ... symbol ( for More actions ) at the top right corner. Click it.
Press Settings ( at the bottom of the drop-down-list).
Look for "Clear browsing data" with the "Choose what to clear". Press the button.
Review the list of what to clear. Make selections. Press Clear button.
===

Next download and run this tool.

Download the version of this tool for your operating system.
Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (64 bit)
Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (32 bit)
and save it to a folder on your computer's Desktop.
Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
Press Scan button.
It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply.

How to attach a file to your reply:
In the Reply section in the bottom of the topic Click the "more reply Options" button.
attachlogs.png

Attach the file.
Select the "Choose a File" navigate to the location of the File.
Click the file you wish to Attach.

Click the Add reply button.
===

Let me know if resetting Edge has helped.

#3 Toller

Toller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:00 AM

I tried the clear browser erase, but that didn't work.

I read elsewhere that it might help to disable the network adapter, open the browser, and close it.  That worked; the "popup" is gone.

I don't know what was actually going on, but it is fixed.

I appreciate your help.

#4 nasdaq

nasdaq

• Malware Response Team
  • 39,497 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:29 PM

It appears that this issue is resolved, therefore I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please send me or any Moderator a Personal Message (PM) that you would like this topic re-opened.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users