Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding new desktop shortcut icon for Google Chrome in Incognito mode on Windows

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 964 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 25 February 2016 - 09:00 PM

This was done successfully in Windows 10 for Google Chrome browser.

The normal shortcut icon as installed: Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe"
Shortcut path: C:\Users\Public\Public Desktop
The name on this desktop shortcut is "Google Chrome"

Processed tried for creating another desktop shortcut icon for Google Chrome:
  1. Open File Explorer
  2. Go through path to the item C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
  3. Right-Click this chrome.exe item or file
  4. Chose Send To..., and within the choices there, chose Desktop(create shortcut)
  5. The new desktop shortcut on the desktop has on its own, the name, "chrome - shortcut"
  6. Shortcut path: C:\Users\Admin\Desktop

Making the new shortcut into incognito:
  1. Right clicked the desktop shortcut icon just made
  2. Click Properties
  3. Target field is already highlighted.  Press keyboard right-arrow button, press spacebar one time, type the word 'incognito'  but not use any quotation marks, click Apply and Ok.

The new shortcut to google chrome with the Target adjusted was tested and will open Google Chrome directly into Incognito mode.

Only thing now to do is try to rename the new icon to mention "incognito" and see if this desktop icon still works.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 26 February 2016 - 08:36 AM

This is the same method described in the link I posted here.  I don't see any difference in the method you described above.

[Edit]

Why start a new thread?  Why didn't you simply post the above to the thread you already started?

Edited by Agouti, 26 February 2016 - 08:40 AM.

#3 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 964 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 08:50 PM

I was not sure why I posted as a new topic.  What I did here was a success.  I am still not clear why the first attempt( as complained and then found described in the other topic) was not successful.  Something about the description of the process you gave link to was not clear; maybe I became confused in the details and missed something.  In fact, the exact pathway I used for success might be why the success, because I went directly to the installed path to make the new desktop shortcut icon.  Maybe the Send To Desktop "make shortcut",  in the rightclick menu made the success.  

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 08:21 AM

I was not sure why I posted as a new topic.

You are the one who started a new topic and you are not sure why you did?  Weird...

#5 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 964 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 06:31 PM

I was not sure why I posted as a new topic.

You are the one who started a new topic and you are not sure why you did?  Weird...

First topic was wanting help in how to get rid of new but non-working shortcut icon.  Second topic was describing how a new desktop shortcut icon was made and fully worked.  Finally, for both, the interest was in getting the shortcut to open the application in incognito mode, but still have both types of icons shortcuts on the desktop.

#6 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 07:29 PM

Second topic was describing how a new desktop shortcut icon was made and fully worked.

Lol...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users