Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Webpage shortcuts in panel ?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 25 February 2016 - 08:19 PM

Hi all. Been a while - hope you are all well.

I'm still revelling in Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.3, and reckon it's the best (computer) thing ever !!

Question - how do I put web page shortcuts in the panel ? Can't seem to drag them in.

Ta

JA

Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon on older, Pentium 4 desktop.

Win 7 on Medion Akoya i3 laptop

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 25 February 2016 - 09:02 PM

Why don't you just use Bookmarks?  I always keep my Bookmark Manager Open, and when one is needed I can do a search in the Search Box.  There are other ways I think to make a link on Desktop, or even Create a Launcher in the Panel but don't know how in CInnamon at the moment.  And you will probably have to edit it to make it a Link to a website.  I will look into this later if you don't get any reply's.

Also, you can make a Bookmark Folder in your Bookmarks Bar, labeled as "Computer Forums" for instance, and have all those Bookmarks there to use as a drop-down.  You can abbreviate these to keep as many as possible in the Bookmarks Bar view across the top of Bookmarks Bar.

Might be good to mention what browser you are using to get some better tips, I'm not very good with Firefox and is why I use Chrome and Chromium, but they are still similar enough to use some simple techniques like this.

You can try both of these if that is good for you:

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=131037#p708244

Or this one is pretty simple and fast as seen at the same link above:

You can drag the icon (favicon) in the URL bar in Firefox onto the desktop and it creates a shortcut.

pcpunk 

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 10:46 PM

Hi pcpunk; I am using Firefox - the default browser.

Why don't I use bookmarks .. well, I do. I have over two hundred of them, all very well organised.

However, there are about 25 that I click onto incessantly .. and each time, I gotta go, firefox > bookmarks > folder (in which it is) > link. That's 4 moves. I was wondering if I could do it in one, for the ones a pull up constantly.

Yes, I know about being able to drag URL favicon and create a shortcut on the desktop, but I wanted to keep my desktop fully clear of icons, as I have some stunning wallpapers scrolling every three minutes, and a heap of desktop shortcuts over them, detracts from the therapeutic and aesthetic benefit those wallpapers provide (yep for real).

So, I wanted them in the panel. And for this, I created a second panel across the top edge of my screen. And it would be ideal if I could cram it with my shortcuts. But alas, I can't drag them, or paste them, or nuthin ..

#4 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 855 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 26 February 2016 - 01:20 AM

Hit Ctrl+B and your Bookmarks will open "permanently" down the left hand side of Firefox.

That way you can save the ones you use incessantly to one particular folder, and leave them open to access whenever you want with one click.

You can of course still shut down the Bookmark bar whenever you want to, but unlike when you call it the conventional way, it will stay open until you close it.

Edited by Gary R, 26 February 2016 - 01:23 AM.

#5 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 26 February 2016 - 04:22 AM

There is a Bookmarks "widget" in KDE that can be placed in a panel. Clicking on it reveals a drop-down list of whatever bookmarks you put in it, and clicking on one of the bookmarks opens that page in your default browser. I'm not sure if there's anything similar in Cinnamon though.

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,166 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 01:58 PM

Why not use a "speed dial"? It can give you all kinds of links you can click on during browser start up.

FVD speed dial is my personal fave, it is a cross browser app to boot working in both chrome and firefox.

http://fvdspeeddial.com/

It also has social media and gmail integration and can save data to the cloud so if you use windows or another OS it can grab the same web pages no matter the OS.

Edited by MadmanRB, 26 February 2016 - 01:59 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#7 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 07:10 PM

Hi jargos

DESKTOP SOLUTION

This works on my Cinnamon -

1. Right-click empty space on Desktop
  2. Choose + Create a new launcher here...
  3. Give it a name, mine is Bleeping
  4. Command is firefox www.bleepingcomputer.com
  5. If you wish you can change the little red rocket ship by clicking and taking a wander through (double-click icons in left pane) /usr/share/icons - the icons come up clearer when finalised
  6. OK
  7. popup asks "Would you like to add this launcher to the menu also?  It will be placed in the Other category initially."
  8. Choose Yes and if need be OK your way out
  9. I've chosen one called Devilish, from High Contrast, which now appears on my Desktop - it also appears in Menu-other
  10. Choose Menu - Other, my little Devil saying Bleeping is there
  11. Right-click and Add to Panel
  12. Once your icon is on Panel, you can delete or move to Trash the one on the desktop. Done!

FIREFOX SOLUTION

In a Firefox session, close all other tabs.

Open your 20 or so faves, and one-by-one right-click each webpage's Tab

Choose Pin Tab for each.

Your pinned Tabs, reduced to an icon sans text but with mouse tip, are now all compressed to the left.

Hope this helps and

avagudweegend

:wizardball: Wiz

#8 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 08:06 PM

Thank ya'll for the info. Yes, I know most of the stuff about bookmarks, etc, but as I said earlier, all I wanted to do was get webpage shortcuts on my panel.

.. and gee, Wiz, you nailed it in your steps 1 - 12, above.

Thanks a million. Funny, I actually tried that earlier but to no avail - probably because I didn't put 'firefox' in front of the web address.

Now, 2 more pesky questions;

1) The shortcuts created thusly, default to the lower, original panel. I have created a second panel across the top of my page, and can't seem to get them in there .. no matter what. Any clues ?

2) How do I change the icon pic of said shortcuts ?

JA :-)

#9 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 08:08 PM

PS - also wanted to say, steps 1 - 12 as detailed by wiz above, seem quite circuitous for merely getting a link in ones panel. Something for the Linux folk .. wonderful folk that they are .. to consider.

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,007 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 08:36 PM

Jargos, want to make sure you understand "Bookmarks Bar", don't take offense, just don't know how much you are understanding about this.  If you have the Bookmarks Bar Showing then you can have like nine Folders on it, each folder can hold as many bookmarks as you like, and, maybe thirty of them will be viewable with out even scrolling.  This gives us like 180 bookmarks quickly accessed.  You can make the bookmarks bar appear at the top by:

1. Left Clicking in the Blue Space at Top of Browser and Selecting "Bookmarks Toolbar"  Likewise you can allow the Menu Bar to be viewable also, which will give still more quick access to the Bookmarks Functions.

If you have any bookmarks in this folder they will appear along the Top of the browser.  Even better yet you should have Folders as I suggested that will act as a Dropdown with as many bookmarks as you like in each Folder.

8LcakBz.png

Then it is TWO steps! to get to any of these Bookmarks.

O, and this an't a Jab at you, but this is not a Linux thing, it is a Browser thing, Windows works the same.  Hope I got this one right Jargos so that you can be more efficient as you want to be like all/most of us want to be lol.

pcpunk

Edited by pcpunk, 26 February 2016 - 08:54 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#11 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 09:21 PM

pcp, firstly, absolutely NO offence taken, and thank you for helping.

Yes, I know all that. But see my paragraph in post 3, viz;

Yes, I know about being able to drag URL favicon and create a shortcut on the desktop, but I wanted to keep my desktop fully clear of icons, as I have some stunning wallpapers scrolling every three minutes, and a heap of desktop shortcuts over them, detracts from the therapeutic and aesthetic benefit those wallpapers provide (yep for real).

So, it is that i want to keep my screen fully clear of all content, including desktop icons, browser, etc. So that I can those wallpapers scrolling every three minutes or so, when I am doing something on my desk other than the computer. Believe it or not, inspiring full screen pics have a notable effect on my, and I dare say, most peoples frame of mind, whether they realise it or not.

Cheers!

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,007 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 09:40 PM

I'm confused, I said nothing about Desktop Icons "favicons" in that last Post.  Do you have a Bookmarks Bar visible as I do in that screenshot?  You see the little Arrow on the right side of all those folders? that means each one will act as a Dropdown with as many Bookmarks as you want in each folder, about 180 available in two clicks!

aU6Ue2q.png

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 jargos

jargos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:59 PM

pcpunk, I highlighted the paragraph (that probably confused you) to say that, as I've said several times here and there, all I want to do is get shortcuts to web pages in my panel, WITHOUT having anything else open, including browser.

I think I'm pretty much there, though, from what wiz worked out.

Apologies for any confusion, but I felt I made it clear in my first two posts in this thread.

All good.

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,007 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:07 PM

I see, but when you click on the shortcut in Panel then the browser opens anyway, so I guess I don't get what this is going to accomplish, accept that you can choose which web-page your browser will open with at that browsing session.  I think that is what you are trying to do?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#15 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:08 PM

@jargos, @pcpunk:

My bad possibly, there for throwing in a Firefox solution, muddied the waters a little .

Any Firefox questions not specifically Linux-related should probably be dealt with over at Web Browsing/Email and Other Internet Applications.

But I can see where punk is coming from, he's quite right in what he says - just not the solution the OP prefers.

JA I'll take a look at that Top Panel bizzo & see if I come up with anything.

The desktop solution I proposed was simply the first thing I tried, and there may be a shorter shortcut I haven't found (yet). Good thing is, it appears that clicking each icon on the Panel DOESN'T have to open a separate instance of FF (thus chewing up RAM),  but rather just appends the chosen webpage to your already open Tabs, is that what you have found?

Later

:wizardball: Wizard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users