Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Iscariot

Iscariot

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 25 February 2016 - 08:11 PM

2 Issues: Connecting a USB device into my 12-in-1 Card Reader's USB 2.0 disables other USB devices, and my USB 3.0 doesn't respond to anything plugged into it.
Case: NZXT Phantom 410
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK, INTEL Z77
CPU: Intel Core i7 33770K Box [3.5/8M]
RAM: (2) G.Skill Ripjaws 4GB DDR3-1600
Card Reader: iBuyPower 12-in-1 Card Reader/Writer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 26 February 2016 - 08:52 AM

When did this start? System crash, virus infection, whatever? Did you just add this card reader as a new add-on?

Does this happen only when you attempt to use the card reader, otherwise everything works properly?

> Enter Device Manager; any error marks posted?

> Do a system restore to a date before this problem started. BTW....I do not mean an operating system restore, just the system restore with restore dates.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 Iscariot

Iscariot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 27 February 2016 - 11:06 PM

Whenever I attach a device to the card reader's USB it causes my other ports to stop functioning.
I don't know why or when this started, the card reader came with the system when it was built.
I don't see any errors in Device Manager.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 28 February 2016 - 09:20 AM

If a system restore doesn't fix it, try this:

from an elevated command prompt type SFC /scannow, (space after SFC) and let the computer finish. If it calls for your Windows CD, insert it. If you don't have one (most retail computers do not) there isn't much you can do. Possibly borrow one from someone (must be the same type as your system, Home or Pro, etc.).

M/Soft has a Windows ISO download site, but you will require a product key to download it. I don't think that a retail manufacturer license key will work. You can burn one of these to a CD and use it to supply a CD for the fix (if necessary). I am not positive this would work since I have never done it, but I have heard of others doing it with success. From how you describe your computer it sounds like you built it so you may have the retail CD already if you purchased a copy of Windows, so the above is not necessary.

In case you aren't sure about an elevated command, here's how: with Windows running, click the START button >Accessories > Right click Command Prompt >Run As Administrator

If all that doesn't help, open the side of the box and check the cable running to the reader, unplug and replug it. If all that doesn't help, most likely the reader went bad.

If you have a retail computer, it may still be under warranty so I would check that out. Same for the card reader itself, if it has an active manufacturer's warranty.

Edited by ranchhand_, 28 February 2016 - 09:23 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users