Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyone ever seen this effect before

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 25 February 2016 - 03:25 PM

Ok, quick question to anyone who's ever burnt cd or dvd discs. Usually I use cd-rw discs, when one writes to them you can, afterwards, hold them up at an angle to the main light source in the room and you see that the middle of the disc is slightly different in colour to the outer part, the more data is on the disc the further out this division between colours is.

The images below display examples of this.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/40/DVD-4.5-scan_b.png
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_f-VN9F37tV4/SY_bIigYgcI/AAAAAAAAAOQ/a-R74HrEKPM/s400/written+cd.jpg

The same applies when you burn dvd+r discs, though it's not quite so noticable.

It makes sense that this happends because a cd is potical media and by writing data to it you're chaning it's optical properties so it will appear somewhat different upon viewing.

But recently I burnt some files to cd-r. There was no noticable coout change at all. Anyone else noticed this? Why would cd-r discs not display the colour change that other types do?

Edited by rp88, 25 February 2016 - 03:25 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 25 February 2016 - 03:37 PM

But recently I burnt some files to cd-r. There was no noticable coout change at all. Anyone else noticed this? Why would cd-r discs not display the colour change that other types do?

How many MBs do these files add up to?  What brand CDs are these?

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 25 February 2016 - 03:41 PM

Yes I have seen this before, If you look at any CD or DVD you can tell the difference between the burned ( written to ) and not burned areas.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#4 66Batmobile

66Batmobile

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 11:24 PM

I could be wrong, but if memory serves it's manufacturing differences between formats.

Long story short, for DVD-r/cd-r, the information is written to a dye layer on the disc from the center out.  For some reason, possibly because more data is written to a smaller section, on DVD-r's the color difference between the burned and unburned sections is generally much more pronounced than on cd-r's.

On CD-RW's, the info is written to a metal alloy layer, which may explain the more pronounced look there.

Actual commercially produced movie/music discs are a whole different story.

Edited by 66Batmobile, 25 February 2016 - 11:31 PM.

Gen. Barker - You haven't heard the last of this!!

Hawkeye Pierce - I wasn't listening to the first of it...

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 05:31 PM

@rp88, was your issue solved?

Edited by Agouti, 26 February 2016 - 05:31 PM.

#6 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 28 February 2016 - 12:59 PM

What I'm commenting on here isn't that one can see the burnt bits, one usually can, what I'm saying is I'm finding it strange that in this case I can't see the burnt bits on this particular disc type. The discs are the same brand, verbatim. There's no "issue" here, Just wondering whether anyone else has noticed that some types of disc (cd-r) don't seem to show a visible difference for burnt and unburnt regions whereas most othr disc types always have in my experience.

Post #4, that might explain it. A metallic layer on cd-rw discs would certainly account for the fact they have silvery and darker silvery colours (rather than shades of purpley iridescence on dvds), I can imagine how cd-r discs having rather less data per unit area than dvd discs would lead to a less significant colour change.

"Actual commercially produced movie/music discs are a whole different story"
They would all be full anyway, when one inserts one you always see it reading as having no free space.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#7 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2016 - 02:16 PM

Same questions:

How many MBs do these files add up to?  What brand CDs are these?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users