Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Timer keeps running

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 25 February 2016 - 02:05 PM

Recently I have had a repeating issue with the (egg) timer running constantly. I have been unable to stop it or to close the current program or web page which appears to be involved. What is happening? I thought it might be due to RAM running too low but that does not seem to be the case --- I can keep a constant check on RAM and use utilities to free it up at will. So if not RAM, what is it and what can i do about it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Markimoo

Markimoo

• Banned
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 03:33 PM

Hello,

Is this is a specific program? Can you stop it from the Task Manager?

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 25 February 2016 - 03:35 PM

Recently I have had a repeating issue with the (egg) timer running constantly.

What does this "timer" look like?  Can you post a screenshot?

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 25 February 2016 - 04:47 PM

Recently I have had a repeating issue with the (egg) timer running constantly.

What does this "timer" look like?  Can you post a screenshot?

I remember the old hourglass timer from Windows XP but I have never seen it in Windows 10. I hope the OP can post some pictures and more details.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 06:17 PM

I think I have rather confused the issue by using an expression familiar to me for many years but it seems not to others. What I call the 'egg timer' is what you may know by variations of 'the activity hourglass' or the 'disk hourglass' or 'activity cursor'. The cursor turns into an 'egg timer' in certain circumstances, when there is (high) disk activity. It was established with XP, but I have just learned that it may not be common in Windows 10 --- except mine! I cannot supply a screen snip from my computer because I am totally unable to get Paste to work in this forum, something I have reported on more than once before (I know the procedure but it just dont work and never has!) However, I expect you can visualise the egg timer / hourglass with fine sand flowing from an upper to a lower chamber. Perhaps someone who can get Paste to work could provide us with an image?

Quote: "I remember the old hourglass timer from Windows XP but I have never seen it in Windows 10." That really surprises me, I have always associated it with Windows and assumed it was commonplace..

I understand there are two different circumstances, 1. the hourglass does not stop you working with Windows and programs, open / close, etc. and soon goes away 2. the hourglass does stop you from interacting with Windows and programs and lasts a long time, or does not go away at all, maybe not even via TaskManager. It is the latter, 2, I am suffering from.    

#6 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 06:39 PM

Attached File  snip_20160225223246.png   11.28KB   0 downloads

"If at first you dont succeed ------"   Has this worked? If so why do I get the Error 'No file was selected for upload."

#7 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 25 February 2016 - 07:04 PM

...what you may know by variations of 'the activity hourglass' or the 'disk hourglass' or 'activity cursor'.

Oh shucks... the hourglass.  I have to admit you had me there.  Anyway, you must have change your mouse pointers some time or the other.  You can change them back to default if you follow this article...

Just make sure you choose "Window Default (system scheme)".

#8 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 02:40 AM

Thanks for the response. Is it just a matter of re-setting mouse pointers (which I have done nothing to change, by the way) ---- is not the hourglass behaviour telling me something I need to know?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users