Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updating Win 8.1 leads to rebooting failure

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 toasterbot

toasterbot

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 25 February 2016 - 01:46 PM

After swapping the damaged HDD from my HP Envy dv6 7250ca with a new Western Digital 1TB HDD (WDC WD10JPVX-22JC3T0), I installed Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit. I could reboot without any issues. I've run and passed the following: SMART check, Memory check, Short DST, WD DataLifeGuard Quick Test.

If I install any updates, my computer will get stuck on the black screen after the Windows logo upon rebooting. I tried just installing the first 24 of 49: Failed, restored. Then the last 25 of 49: Exact same issue.

What's going on? What should I try?

Thank you for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 toasterbot

toasterbot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 03:57 PM

If someone could please help, I would truly appreciate it. You guys were quick to help me before.

#3 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 27 February 2016 - 04:41 PM

Have you checked Device Manager?  You could be missing some drivers.  This will show up there with ! or ? next to an entry Windows detects in need of the right driver.  Also I ask if you might've run a registry cleaner.  These do no good and can cause problems that're difficult to diagnose and repair.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#4 toasterbot

toasterbot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:33 PM

Under MyPC \ Other Devices, I have "PCI Device" and "Unknown device", which don't have drivers. I have no idea which devices these are.

Viewing by connection type:

MyPC \ ACPI x64-based PC \ Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System \ Unknown device

MyPC \ ACPI x64-based PC \ Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System \ PCI Express Root Complex \ Intel® 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family PCI Express Port 3 - 1E14 \ PCI Device

I haven't run any strange software. Also, I ran and passed the WD Data LifeGuard Diagnostic Extended HDD check.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users