Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Access password protected folder on Buffalo Linkstation

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dahue

dahue

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 25 February 2016 - 12:45 PM

I work in a small office that has about 10 computers connected to a a "BUFFALO LinkStation 410 2 TB High Performance NAS Personal Cloud Storage and Media Server - LS410D0201."  My boss wants to password protect some our files to limit access.  So I tried to set this up for him.  I can connect to the NAS set up user accounts and password without a problem and password protect the folder.  

The problem is that only one computer cannot access the password protect folder mine.  Any other computer on the network I try can.   I have also moved the computer to other connections and it can access the folder.  All our Ethernet cables are run through the walls so a permanent move is not possible.  This issue only happens when a folder is password protected otherwise I can access all files and folders.

All the PC's in our office us Windows 7 except one that is still XP.  I am on a  HP Compaq 8200 Elite SFF PC Windows 7 Professional.  I have attached a screen shot of the error I receive when I try to access the folder when it is password protected.  Please let me know if you have any suggestions or need more information.

Chris

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CyberSec_ET

CyberSec_ET

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:52 AM

Have you tried "Take Ownership"  > https://rizonesoft.com/download/ownership/ <

To overtake addministrator rights of other files & Folders, including "Password Protect",

and "Harddrives".

More Information Here > https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753659.aspx <

#3 dahue

dahue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 26 February 2016 - 01:26 PM

I tried but it would not let me take ownership.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users