Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista x64 BKSOD after login or no access in normal mode - suspect MSE

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Wenger786

Wenger786

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 25 February 2016 - 12:40 PM

Was away for a few days.

On return Windows prompted me to install (though not the normal monthly that was done earlier in Feb) some updates including Microsoft Security Essential (MSE).

The update seems to have broken something.

Safe Mode symptoms:

1. Boots fine

2. unable to uninstall MSE (which I think is actually normal).

Normal mode Symptoms: 

1, System boots in normal mode, seems to have the high res drivers at login screen though more sluggish with "wait" mouse pointer circle that normal

2. After login in normal mode,  just get a black screen with white mouse pointer. Can manage to get task manager by using CTRL+ALT+DEL, and selecting it from the "logoff" menu, but not much else. The system seems to hang/waiting on starting a MSE/Anti malware service.

3. Started with diagnostic services only in MSCONFIG (using safe mode) normal mode gives errors that appear to be related to a profile service being unavailable). Just get the start button and trashcan but not much works.

I suspect MSE update has broken things, and because safe mode does not do runtime protection it boots okay.

No disabling that whilst safe mode did not help, and I was not able to uninstall MSE even with an RGY hack to allow the MS (un)installer service to work. Vista Repair, last good configuration, and system restore all no good,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 25 February 2016 - 03:43 PM

Was away for a few days.

On return Windows prompted me to install (though not the normal monthly that was done earlier in Feb) some updates including Microsoft Security Essential (MSE).

The update seems to have broken something.

Instead of trying to uninstall MSE, have you tried to uninstalled the updates?

#3 Wenger786

Wenger786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 05:24 PM

I believe I have - AFAIK updates were largely MSE related - can't be sure, though.

I think updates were probabaly:

Definition Update for Microsoft Security Essentials - KB2310138 (Definition 1.213.6986.0)
Definition Update for Microsoft Security Essentials - KB2310138 (Definition 1.213.7173.0)
Update for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB3118401)
Update for Microsoft Security Essentials - 4.9.218.0 (KB3140527)

Anyhow all that I could remove prior to the apparently damaging updates a couple of days ago have been removed: Installed updates and Installed Programs shown in safe mode are all old (10th Feb) apart from MSE (version listed above). I'm not sure if you are suggesting some (other) way of backing-out the MSE definitions?

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 05:38 PM

If you uninstalled the offending updates and whatever is broken is still broken, then I would say it wasn't the updates that broke your system.

#5 Wenger786

Wenger786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 05:55 PM

Like I said MSE itself is still updated, and I cannot back out that change or unstall it altogether.

Progress however...In MSE under safe mode under Settings -> Adminsitrator, I changed the "turn on this app" tick to no tick. Booted normal mode.

Looks promising.

#6 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 07:17 PM

Check this out: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/microsoft-security-essentials-removal-tool/

#7 Abzyx

Abzyx

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:13 AM

I wonder if Wenger786 has resolved his problem? This issue seems to be very common for MSE users running Vista, perhaps even universal. Most have escaped via system restore: http://www.vistax64.com/windows-updates/304379-update-microsoft-security-essentials-4-9-218-0-kb3140527.html

#8 Wenger786

Wenger786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 11:11 AM

Woked around.

as i said ...".In MSE under safe mode under Settings -> Administrator, I changed the "turn on this app" tick to no tick. Booted normal mode"

after that, Aavast was used as virus/malware protection. not yet uninstalled MSE but will probably do that when a bit more time.

#9 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 11:50 AM

after that, Aavast was used as virus/malware protection. not yet uninstalled MSE but will probably do that when a bit more time.

You shouldn't have 2 antivirus programs installed at the same time.

#10 Wenger786

Wenger786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 11:52 AM

Well perhaps  - shouldn't have two doing realtime/in mem protection at same time.

#11 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 11:54 AM

Real time or not, you shouldn't have 2 antivirus programs.

#12 Wenger786

Wenger786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 12:01 PM

Thanks for the additional info. Not sure if I should be comforted by the fact that it was not unique to my situation or not.

System restore could not complete.

I'm thinking I should manually create a system restore point before installing Windows updates

I wonder if Wenger786 has resolved his problem? This issue seems to be very common for MSE users running Vista, perhaps even universal. Most have escaped via system restore: http://www.vistax64.com/windows-updates/304379-update-microsoft-security-essentials-4-9-218-0-kb3140527.html

#13 JustMan75

JustMan75

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 29 February 2016 - 06:30 AM

Thanks Wenger786.  I have the same symptoms as you reported.  Other than un-ticking the "turn on this app" tick, do you recall if you did anything else?  I made the same change but the issue wasn't resolved, and now when I attempt to open msseces.exe in Safe Mode it informs me that the app has been turned off and isn't monitoring my computer, instead of letting me open it,  So I can't uninstall MSE, can't interact with it, and am still getting a black screen in normal mode.  Like you, the system restore isn't working.

Just wondering if there was anything else that you might have done in addition to deselecting "turn on this app"

#14 Wenger786

Wenger786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2016 - 06:45 AM

soryr don't remember doing anything else, other than turning 'off app' AND real time protection off.

My next move was goinf to be to try to re-install MSE or an alternative like aavast or norton.

Good luck JustMan75.

#15 JustMan75

JustMan75

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 29 February 2016 - 07:58 AM

Thanks mate. Not sure if it was your wish of luck :) but after reading your message (while in safe mode) I gave it another try and rebooted into normal mode, and it worked. I'm quite sure I didn't do anything else than reboot again so I'm not sure why it's working (unticking that box is all I changed) but I'm uninstalling MSE and will reinstall the previous version.

Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users