Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What GPU would be best?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 25 February 2016 - 10:48 AM

I could probably choose myself, but I'd like a second opinion. I have an Intel Core i5-4440, with 8 GB of DDR3-1600 RAM and an EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti. At full load, it barely uses half of my PSU's 500 watts, so wattage is not an issue. I can run most games at 1080p at high settings at good framerates. However, some games require me to set them to 1600x900 to be playable. What is a good GPU that would be a significant upgrade from the GTX 750 Ti, runs well with my current processor (no bottlenecks), and costs less than $200 (or maybe $175, lower is better, i'm on a budget)?

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 moldieToast

moldieToast

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 25 February 2016 - 01:57 PM

I usually check out videocardbenchmark when someone needs advice on gfx-cards.

You may find it interesting look at it yourself, but at a quick glance it seems the gtx 960 was made to be yours. It seems to be the highest scoring card below $200 and is indeed a significant upgrade.

#3 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 25 February 2016 - 02:22 PM

I usually check out videocardbenchmark when someone needs advice on gfx-cards.

You may find it interesting look at it yourself, but at a quick glance it seems the gtx 960 was made to be yours. It seems to be the highest scoring card below $200 and is indeed a significant upgrade.

That site contais only total BS. GTX 780 Ti faster than R9 390X? GTX960 faster than R9 280X? :thumbdown: Even R9 380 beats GTX960. And GTX970 faster than R9 Fury :crazy:

http://videocardbenchmark.net/ is Nvidia biased site with false information.

Edit: My recommendation is Radeon R9 380.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 25 February 2016 - 02:25 PM.

#4 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 06:24 PM

Really? I thought NVIDIA and Intel based stuff has more technology built into it than AMD parts.

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#5 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,354 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 25 February 2016 - 09:27 PM

Hey gigawert!
As you probably know the evga gtx 750ti is a $120 card. I have the same gpu. You may want to save up your pennies for a little while longer to get a card that will last even longer. Both amd and Nvidia have some new cards coming out soon. If you save up for a few months until amd's 400 series cards are out you will have more money to spend and the older cards will be cheaper. But the r9 380 is a compelling option.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#6 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 10:20 PM

Generally how much do GPUs drop in price when a new generation comes out?

#7 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,354 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 26 February 2016 - 07:15 AM

It's hard to tell.
You could look at gpu price trends on pcpartpicker
https://pcpartpicker.com/trends/price/video-card/

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#8 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 26 February 2016 - 12:33 PM

Really? I thought NVIDIA and Intel based stuff has more technology built into it than AMD parts.

Radeon R9 series is much more complete set than Nvidia's GTX that is only for gaming for example. Also R9 series has much better features for DirectX 12.

That Videocardbenchmark.net only said something about speed and got even that very wrong.

Generally how much do GPUs drop in price when a new generation comes out?

I expect that new architechture Polaris (AMD) and Pascal (Nvidia) is first introduced on high end or lower high end categories. If so, price drops will happen at higher end categories. New architechture introdution for low end cards will take a while and so price cuts will also take time.

Just like Captain_Chicken said, it's more wise to wait for new cards and buy something that really makes difference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users