Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overclockable?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 25 February 2016 - 10:22 AM

Is the Intel Core i5-4440 overclockable? If so what should I use? I want to see if I can get a little better performance in some games without upgrading hardware (yet).

Edited by gigawert, 25 February 2016 - 10:22 AM.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 25 February 2016 - 10:30 AM

Unfortunately it is not. In order to overclock, the multiplier of the chip must be unlocked. The easy way to tell with Intel CPUs is to look for a letter on the end of the number:

U = mobile chip (not overclockable)

K = unlocked multiplier (overclockable)

X = extreme edition (overclockable)

If there is no letter on the end, as in your case, the processor is a standard desktop chip, and is not overclockable.*

*Very rarely, you will come across a series of chips that can be overclocked by modifying the BCLK (base clock). I have heard that skylake (newest gen CPUs) allow this, but I do not believe yours does. In any case, BCLK overclocking is significantly more involved than regular multiplier overclocking, and should not be attempted unless you really know what you are doing.

Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#3 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 25 February 2016 - 10:44 AM

Darnit.  At least I know more about those things for when I build more PCs.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#4 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 25 February 2016 - 10:58 AM

Honestly though, I wouldn't buy an unlocked CPU unless there was some sort of deal on it that made it as cheap as or cheaper than the non-unlocked varient (example: Microcenter usually has $40 savings when you buy an unlocked CPU and a motherboard at the same time.)

When you do start overclocking, please make sure to read lots of guides on it (overclock.net is a good resource). Overclocking is not an exact science, and there is a lot of what us overclockers call "the silicon lottery" involved. Overclocking can also induce tricky to find instabilities that can do anything from corrupt data to cause a BSoD. There are ways to make sure ones overclock is relatively "safe" (see: Stress/Torture Testing, Prime95), but nothing is certain. You are, after all, operating outside the manufacturer's specs. Therefore I strongly advise against overclocking any system with mission-critical function or financial information.

Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users