Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I set BIOS RAID options after CMOS battery change in Dell Studio XPS 435M

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 DaniB

DaniB

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 25 February 2016 - 09:54 AM

Hi,

Spec: Dell Studio XPS 435MT, 2 X 500GB Seagate hard drives, Intel core i7 processor, 6GB RAM, Windows 10.

I changed the CMOS battery.  I did everything as per the user manual.  I downloaded the Dell factory BIOS, just in case I needed it and I took screenshots of all my BIOS settings first.

However, my PC has a RAID ARRAY 01 setup and the manual, for some reason doesn't mention anything about RAID BIOS in the default BIOS settings.

After the CMOS battery swap I booted the PC up and went into BIOS to set all my settings back, as per the manual.  I can set everything back how it was except two settings: Hard disk boot settings and Hard Disk Boot Priority.

Before I changed the battery these two settings were like this:

1. Hard disk boot settings:

3rd boot device = [RAID: Intel ARRAY 01]

2. Hard Disk Boot Priority:

1st drive = [RAID: Intel ARRAY 01]

Now, they are:

1. Hard disk boot settings:

3rd boot device = SATA: ST3500620AS  (There's no RAID ARRAY 01 option)

2. Hard Disk Boot Priority:

1st Drive: SATA: ST3500620AS

2nd Drive: SATA: ST3500620AS  (Again there's no RAID options)

In advanced chipset features, there is a RAID option though, so I can set that setting back how it was before the CMOS battery change.

I've attached some images of these 2 settings before and after the battery replacement.

The computer is just sat in BIOS burning out the monitor and I don't have a clue what to do.

I have not booted to get as far as Windows yet.  I need to know what to do in order to get these RAID settings how they were first.  I can't find anything at all on these specific settings online.

I presume that I need everything the same in BIOS before I boot into Windows, but how?

Help would really be appreciated.

Thanks.

1-b4-battery-change.jpg

2-b4-battery-change.jpg

3-after-battery-change.jpg

4-after-battery-change.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 25 February 2016 - 10:32 AM

Were you managing the RAID array through the BIOS or through an external controller?

Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#3 DaniB

DaniB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 10:40 AM

First, thanks for your reply; I felt really on my own on this.

I have only been into the BIOS.  I did it all as per the manual - changed CMOS battery, pressed f2 on boot into BIOS and went to replace my BIOS settings back to how they were before battery change. 

But, Dell have not covered RAID BIOS setups in the service manual, yet they tell you how to replace the battery.

I'm really annoyed at Dell because of this.  If Dell had added instructions on how to reset the BIOS defaults for RAID setups too in the manual I'd be OK.  But no, Dell lets you find all this out when it's too late.

I know nothing about this.

Edited by DaniB, 25 February 2016 - 10:41 AM.

#4 DaniB

DaniB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 10:43 AM

Oh, sorry.  Does this help.  I have Intel Rapid Storage Technology installed.

#5 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 10:46 AM

Ok, I assume that means you created the RAID array through that program? Do you see any RAID-related options anywhere in the BIOS?

#6 DaniB

DaniB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 10:50 AM

The PC just came like this off the shelf from a major store a few years ago.  I didn't setup the  RAID unfortunately, that's why I don't know anything about all this, and hence my annoyance with the service manual.

#7 DaniB

DaniB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 10:52 AM

Yep, there is one RAID related option in 'BIOS', 'Advanced Chipset features'.  That was set to RAID before the new battery and I have set it back to RAID.  There's just these other two settings (could actually be one setting): Hard disk boot settings and Hard Disk Boot Priority, that don't match as per the images.

Edited by DaniB, 25 February 2016 - 10:57 AM.

#8 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 11:02 AM

Please show me the "Advanced Chipset Features" screen.

I would also like to know what mode of RAID you were running before the CMOS reset. Different RAID modes are easier to recover than others.

#9 DaniB

DaniB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 11:13 AM

I took 3 images, one of the main BIOS screen, one of the advanced chipset features and one of the option (SATA) that mentions RAID.

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

#10 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 11:51 AM

What is under "Advanced BIOS Features"?

#11 DaniB

DaniB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 12:20 PM

CPU Feature and USB Device Settings is under Advanced BIOS Features.  I have included screenshots of those 2 screens and any other BIOS options I've not already shown you.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Edited by DaniB, 25 February 2016 - 12:22 PM.

#12 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 12:25 PM

To me it looks like RAID may have been disabled when you replaced the CMOS battery. I unfortunately do not know enough about RAID to advise you on what to do without risking you damaging your data. I will defer to someone with more experience in these matters. Good luck :)

#13 DaniB

DaniB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 12:32 PM

Can you refer this someone else in the forum with more RAID experience at all please?

Thanks anyway.

#14 DaniB

DaniB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 02:53 PM

After doing more research, and more research, I entered all the BIOS settings from before the battery change I could and then chose SATA: ST3500620AS as the 3rd bootable device because RAID ARRAY 0 wasn't an option.

Then, I took a risk.

I then pressed F10 to save the settings and exited, as the system restarted I immediately pressed 'control' and 'I' at the same time to get into the RAID setup.  I then took a photograph of the RAID settings for later.

Then, I exited and crossed my fingers to see if the system would boot into Windows - it did!

Now, I need to figure out where Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST ) has gone.  It looks like when I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 IRST did not get installed.  And, I need to figure out how to rebuild the RAID ARRAY 0 setup, but at least my system seems OK.

Phew!

#15 WebWalker67

WebWalker67

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 25 February 2016 - 03:41 PM

When your system booting up (without going into BIOS) pay attention to something relating the RAID on the screen (before Windows logo appear)

I know some motherboard's RAID setting are not in BIOS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users