Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Developer needing assistance building Android app usi Windows (am used to Linux)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AprilMorone

AprilMorone

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 08:49 AM

Am,used to using Linux to build appps and websites. Help about using Android Studio for .apk of Android and buikidng Android app using Android Studio .apk. that is,new for me since I am used to building apps for web either using other platforms or building it all.

Edited by hamluis, 25 February 2016 - 12:18 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Programming - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 25 February 2016 - 09:37 AM

What specifically are you having trouble with? Your question is very broad. Google has excellent tutorials on building Android Apps on the Android Developers website.

Coming from web development to compiling binaries is a bit different, I made the same jump originally several years ago. You just have to get your head around the fact that you can't just change one line in a file and refresh the browser, you have to initiate a full build with each change.

I've not used Android Studio a whole lot (especially since they released drastic changes in 2.0), I've done most of my app development in Eclipse just due to familiarity and how it's already hooked into all my other tools and environment.

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic]

ransomnotecleaner-25.png RansomNoteCleaner - Remove Ransom Notes Left Behind [Support Topic]

cryptosearch-25.pngCryptoSearch - Find Files Encrypted by Ransomware [Support Topic]

If I have helped you and you wish to support my ransomware fighting, you may support me here.

#3 AprilMorone

AprilMorone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 09:56 AM

Am,new to Java in and of itself and am tryibg to figure out if i need Java for this, after all, or to just use JavaScript, CSS and HTML5 inside Android Studio since Android Studio provides the Android .apk. i have ceated the Maifest file. But, I usually develop JavaScript apps or Web apps for Firefox OS and other platforms. Or Python programmes. Your advise would be appreciated.

#4 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,492 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 10:04 AM

Primarily you would use Java, yes. Android is primarily Java for logic, and XML for design. There are ways that you can build it like a web app though. If you create a WebView in your activity (documentation), then you can either point it to a URL on a web server, and just build like you normally would online (the app would just be the browser - at that point though, why not just let the user use their preferred browser app like Chrome), or use local assets to build the "website" on the local device.

At this point, we should probably ask what your goal of the app is? Does it fully make sense to make a native app? Are you incorporating local-only features such as offline capability or other integrated services? There are many HTML5 libraries and techniques out there now to do almost 90% of what you can do with building a native app anymore.

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic]

ransomnotecleaner-25.png RansomNoteCleaner - Remove Ransom Notes Left Behind [Support Topic]

cryptosearch-25.pngCryptoSearch - Find Files Encrypted by Ransomware [Support Topic]

If I have helped you and you wish to support my ransomware fighting, you may support me here.

#5 AprilMorone

AprilMorone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 10:11 AM

Ah. K. My primary goal of my app is to transcribe sign language and text that will be used in phone calls by deaf into voice and vice versa, thereby, eliminating the need for,relay operators.

#6 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,492 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 10:24 AM

That definitely sounds rather complex. So you are going to use hand gesture recognition of some sort? With how much processing that will take, and need for real-time, that might be best to do as a native app, since you would have to be constantly streaming to a server for the recognition if you went with a web-based app. You'll probably still have a server in the middle for connecting clients. Be sure to plan this out thoroughly, there may be a few ways to go about it.

For example, Google's voice recognition seems to use a mix of both. On my Android phone, if I issue a command with my voice, it interprets most of it locally (since it is trained to my voice), but then I think it reaches out to Google's servers if it has trouble, or to get what it should actually do with my command. E.g., it can recognize "text my wife" locally, but then shoots that out to Google's servers, which reach back with, "that means you should ask for a message, then send an SMS intent to the text messaging app for xxx-xxx-xxxx". That way, Google can constantly update/tweak what commands do on their end without having to push full app updates hourly.

You could take a similar approach, and do all the telemetry of measuring the hand gestures locally (just like xyz coordinates, paths, or however you measure that), then send stream of data to your server to interpret what the gesture means. The server then responds back with "that was a Q", and your app handles that by displaying the text and/or voice-over. Then, you can easily update your gesture formulas and such on your server without having to re-build the whole app.

Just one idea of an approach.

Good luck with that. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users