Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rebooting Xp Home

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kingdan

kingdan

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 31 July 2006 - 02:34 PM

Im always shaky on rebooting XP cause of that genuine verification check. So heres my problem. i have a legit version of XP home can i just reboot it without any problems? cause isnt there something where u cant us the Xp cd more than once on a computer? i hope u guys get what i mean. plz help!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 31 July 2006 - 03:05 PM

i have a legit version of XP home can i just reboot it without any problems?

Not sure what you mean by "rebooting XP home"? Do you mean reformating and reinstalling WinXP on the same computer? If so, there's no problem to redoing the same computer with that same WinXP, as long as it's a legit copy of Windows and you're not trying to put it on more than one computer.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 31 July 2006 - 09:17 PM

You will need the 25 digit Windows key number which should be on a sticker the computer's case.

If it is not, download Keyfinder from magicaljellybean.com to get it.

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2006 - 09:54 PM

You can use the same XP CD as many times as you need to on the original computer. If it's an OEM version, it goes with the hardware. If it's a full version, you can transfer it to another computer as long as you no longer use the first computer. If you make changes to the computer's hardware, you may have to re-activate or even call Microsoft, but only for serious changes. A hard drive change won't be a problem. A CD-Rom or more memory won't be a problem. But a new motherboard would be a problem.

#5 tkcraw

tkcraw

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2006 - 04:15 PM

If you are having a problem with the product not being genuine then try to go to www.microsoft.com/genuine then click on validate windows in the center of the screen and that should help with the verification problem.

#6 Seth_z

Seth_z

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2006 - 04:24 PM

As far as I know you can use it as many times as you want. I've reformatted my computer a few times and ever time used the original CD with no problems. Though if you have an OEM version I've had problems where it said it wasn't valid so I had to call them. If you do have to call them though It's annoying, they give you like one billion digits you have to say into the phone (ok well its more like 8 rows of 7 or 8 numbers, might have went a little over board with the one billion part).

I don't understand why if you make any big hardware changes it deletes that you validated, couldn't you just back up that key entry and put it back in after it deletes it?

#7 tkcraw

tkcraw

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2006 - 04:38 PM

As a microsoft employee i would suggest that if you have the operating system loaded and you just need to get genuine then i would follow the site that i had posted although i will agree with the last post that you can use the same cd on the same computer as many times as you like and the only thing that you may have a problem with is activation because the id does expire after being used too many times and those times do vary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users