Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need a direction advice

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nancyh1990

nancyh1990

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:45 PM

(21) desktops & server - low bandwith usage - no videos, graphics...  Just accounting software.  They are on 192.168.5.x and connected to Comcast modem/router.

(5) Open-Mesh Access points.  They are on 10.5.10.x.  The Comcast wireless is turned off.

(20) 5 megapixel cameras with VMS.  They are on 10.6.10.x

(21) IP phones.  They are 172.172.172.x

At Comcast modem/router - 151 Mbps down/23 Mbps up

At any of the desktop on the 192.168.5.x, with Cameras & Access Points POWERED down, speed test shows 46 Mbps down/23 Mbps up.

Is it normal that I lose 100+ Mbps within the network?

If this is not normal, should I look for looped (both ends of cable going to the same switch) or IP conflict?  What else should I look for?

Thanks for your guidance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 25 February 2016 - 12:25 AM

Is that the speed calculated from the internet or from your demarc to your desktops?

Is that speed calculated through Windows or with a network testing device?

Are you using a packet sniffer at all? Check for broadcast issues? Check for collision issues?

Edited by TsVk!, 25 February 2016 - 12:28 AM.

#3 nancyh1990

nancyh1990
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 25 February 2016 - 08:05 AM

Good morning,

Is that the speed calculated from the internet or from your demarc to your desktops? I ran speediest.net from my desktop

Is that speed calculated through Windows or with a network testing device? My desktop is windows 7 pro

Are you using a packet sniffer at all? Check for broadcast issues? Check for collision issues? I just downloaded packet sniffer.  Will check for loops and ip conflict this am.

Thank you so much

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 25 February 2016 - 05:49 PM

Good morning Nancy

Is that the speed calculated from the internet or from your demarc to your desktops? I ran speediest.net from my desktop

It could be that that is the download speed you are receiving from your ISP then, your network could be fully capable.

Is that speed calculated through Windows or with a network testing device? My desktop is windows 7 pro

If you really want to check your speeds use a device, but you can always software check a local connection speed for a better reading. Here is a list of some tools you could use.

Are you using a packet sniffer at all? Check for broadcast issues? Check for collision issues? I just downloaded packet sniffer.  Will check for loops and ip conflict this am.

:thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users