Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What are some good HDD enclosure manufacturers?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dark Magician Girl

Dark Magician Girl

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:58 PM

I am considering picking up a HDD enclosure. These are the items I am considering at the moment: 

1. ORICO SATA III to USB 3.0 Tool-free Hard Drive Disk External Enclosure Case for 3.5" SATA HDD & SSD 

2. Inateck USB 3.0 2.5 Inch & 3.5 Inch Aluminum Hard Disk Drive HDD External Enclosure

3. Sabrent USB 3.0 to SATA External Hard Drive Lay-Flat Docking Station with Built-in Cooling Fan for 2.5 or 3.5in HDD, SSD

4. Inateck USB 3.0 to SATA External Hard Drives Docking Station with Dust Cover for 2.5 Inch & 3.5 Inch HDD SSD

I am also considering one of these for easy drive swapping: 

5. Unitek USB 3.0 to SATA External Hard Drive Docking Station for 2.5 3.5 Inch SATA I / II / III HDD SSD

6. UNITEK USB 3.0 to SATA Dual Bay External Hard Drive Docking Station for 2.5 or 3.5 Inch HDD SSD 

7. Inateck USB 3.0 to SATA Dual-Bay USB 3.0 Hard Drive Docking Station

- Does anyone have any experience with any of these manufacturers or specifically these enclosures? 

- I read plastic enclosures aren't a good idea for prolonged use due to lack of good heat dissipation. Is this something I should be concerned about? 

- Should I be concerned about heat accumulating inside of the 5 and 6 docking stations? 

Edited by Dark Magician Girl, 24 February 2016 - 06:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,800 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 25 February 2016 - 04:07 PM

I use a Bytec  Smart drive unit.  It supports IDE/PATA/SATA interfaces. It will mount smaller drives but not the huge things from15 years ago.  Laptop or desktop, the USB interface is plug and play.  Retrieved dozens of users files from drives out of failed units.  Good investment of $20.

#3 Dark Magician Girl

Dark Magician Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2016 - 12:16 AM

There isn't much from Bytec that is available on Amazon. The only 3.0 enclosure I see is expensive for just an aluminum enclosure.

I'm more concerned about how important cooling is when using HDD enclosures for traditional 3.5" drives. My older drives tend to get hot whereas my newer ones tend to get warm when used internally. 

#4 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 06 March 2016 - 02:00 PM

I have an Orico unit for use with a 2.5" drive and it has functioned flawlessly for a number of years with a 500GB WD black installed.

I think heat willl only be an issue if you keep the drive plugged in and use it all the time.  I only plug mine in and use it when needed.

#5 Dark Magician Girl

Dark Magician Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 12:57 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Unitek-External-Docking-Station-Support/dp/B00KBNSVNO/ref=cm_cr_dp_asin_lnk

I'm considering getting this docking station. I'm running out of hard disk space, so I may pick up new drives. In addition to using the docking station to access my old drives, I might use it for the new drives. One drive will be the main drive, and the other will mirror the main drive. Will I be able to download movies to the main drive and watch them from the drive without issue? I can watching movies from my external disk drive without any problems. I wonder if I can do the same with the docking station. I figure I would do this until I can get a NAS. Do you think heat will pose a problem if I do this?

Edited by Dark Magician Girl, 24 March 2016 - 01:02 AM.

#6 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 11:57 AM

I've had good success with Sabrent and Inland.  They work well with both USB 2 and 3 for SATA and IDE drives, although I've just about phased out most of my IDE ones.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users