Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VGA and USB ports not functioning. Virus?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Amysspmn

Amysspmn

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:54 PM

Hello. I hope you can help me. I have an HP Pavilion HPE desktop that is about 4 yrs old, I believe. It runs Windows 7. The port that my monitor plugs into (is it called VGA?) doesn't seem to be functional. So when the monitor is hooked up it is completely blank making the computer unusable. I have tested the monitor using my laptop and an HDMI cable and the monitor itself works fine. I have also discovered that none of the USB ports are functional by using a usb mouse and keyboard.These devices work fine on my laptop. The computer itself powers up and has fans working and a light turns on when an ethernet cable is plugged in.

Things i have tried from bits on other forums:
* We first tried the HP recovery CD but it did not work.
* Next we tried doing something with the BIOS by holding power button down,pressing F10 and F5 and enter keys etc..
* Next I replaced the CMOS battery.
* I removed my hard drive and put it in an external enclosure which is connected to my laptop. Seems to be running fine. It shows up on my laptop as H:/hp recovery.
* Today I have used Panda USB to vaccinate both my laptop and the external drive. I am now running a Malware Bytes scan on my laptop including the external drive.

Hp Pavilion HPE
2MD15205Z8
WINDOWS 7
1GB AMD radeon HD6450 DVI HDMI VGA adapt
AMD fx 6100 95W processor

I appreciate any advice you can give. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:29 PM

It appears that your motherboard has a fault. Unfortunately there is no "soft" fix for this. The only solution is to replace the motherboard, or the machine.

Sorry about that.

#3 Amysspmn

Amysspmn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:42 PM

Well thank you for your reply.

Any resources/recommendations for purchasing a motherboard? Is it worth it to buy a new motherboard?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:27 PM

FWIW

Only you can determine if it's worth replacing :).

But a replacement motherboard is probably cheaper than a replacement system...system is a desktop so motherboard replacement should not be an arduous task...and system dates back to mid-2011.

Doesn't look as if a replacement is going to be terribly expensive.

Louis

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:31 PM

I did not notice that you had an additional graphics card installed before... Have you tried removing the card and just using the on-board graphics? If still the same issue please see my post above and my info below...

At that age I would just replace the machine personally, I would consider it throwing good money after bad to repair it. Though depending on your financial situation you may choose to replace the mobo. It would not be exceptionally difficult to do and a few YouTube videos would show you everything you need to know. Your choice.

There are currently good machines that can be bought online made by HP that come pre-installed (degraded win10 license) with Win7 and have a 3 year onsite warranty for around $600-800. I know this is a lot of money to spend at once, but this will modernise you for years to come.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:35 PM

If you can provide an exact model number I'll link you some motherboards for sale...

#7 Amysspmn

Amysspmn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 09:17 AM

HP pavilion HPE 2MD15205Z8 I would be so grateful if you could point me to a mobo. If it isnt too expensive, i may go ahead and do it. If nothing else, I'll get some mad respect for being cool mom and wife that can fix a computer. ;) I sure appreciate everyone waying in on this conversation. Thanks!

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 25 February 2016 - 09:49 AM

Before tossing it in and purchasing a new motherboard you should remove the dedicated graphics card (the SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6450) to see if the problem with the graphics persists.

If the integrated graphics (the graphics chip integrated in the motherboard) works you can assume that the dedicated card has failed.

If you get the integrated graphics working look in the Device Manager to see if there are any yellow warning or red error icons in the Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

To open the Device Manager click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png and then type device manager in the Search programs and files box.

In the pane above the search box Programs will appear with device manager below it, right click on it and select Run as administrator.

Edited by dc3, 25 February 2016 - 09:51 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 04:55 PM

HP pavilion HPE 2MD15205Z8 I would be so grateful if you could point me to a mobo. If it isnt too expensive, i may go ahead and do it. If nothing else, I'll get some mad respect for being cool mom and wife that can fix a computer. ;) I sure appreciate everyone waying in on this conversation. Thanks!

That's the serial number, the model would be something more like h8-1024 or h8-1111.

#10 Amysspmn

Amysspmn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 11:57 AM

Hi TsVk! The model number is h8-1100z. Sorry about that! I'm so grateful for the help!Thank you....

#11 Amysspmn

Amysspmn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 12:44 PM

One concern I have about going down the road of the graphics card, is that I don't know if this would explain why all my USB ports are knocked out. Forgive me if I am being ignorant, this is new territory for me!

#12 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:36 PM

Looking at your machine specs I can see the graphics are integrated on the mobo. So even if it is the grahics that need replacing you would still need to replace the whole motherbaord.

The ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS motherboard is compatible with your system, and would be a slight upgrade for you, quite cheap also. You will have to search on Google for your best deal locally, Newegg is out of them and I don't really know US part suppliers.

#13 Amysspmn

Amysspmn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 06:31 PM

Thank you so much! I'll let u know what happens next!

#14 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 06:58 PM

You're welcome :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users