Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Genuine windows 7 product tagged as ingenuine.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 stoopidfish

stoopidfish

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:31 PM

Hello,

Periodically during usage, I will receive a Windows Activation Technologies notification that says my copy of Windows is not genuine. I purchased it retail off of Amazon and it worked from around December 2011 to December 2012. From the beginning of 2013 onward, I've gotten the notification  Code 0x8004fe21 sits down towards the bottom left corner. It always recommends an update that I have tried to install multiple times. It always fails. The error information code is 0x80096001. I checked the activation status; activated. I am always able to ignore it by closing the window and, other than being unable to update Windows, I do not perceive any other issues. It is simply a persistent annoyance.

Any ideas on how I might resolve this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:52 PM

Please see this fix for your problem by InadequateInfirmity

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/445609/windows-cant-check-for-updates/#entry2626547

#3 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 442 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:59 PM

Easier method ............

From M/soft MVPs

Does KB3004394 and KB3024777 appear in View update history? Do either appear in Installed updates?

They were from the period that you mention, and were botched updates. Uninstall them first, and I will see if there is another update for you.

Thanks .

EDIT- From Noel..Paton (Retired MVP)

However, currently, the most common cause is a botched Windows Update from MS - which disrupts things, and must be uninstalled, and any resulting problems dealt with afterwards.

Installing 'random' drivers will NOT help.

Edited by Jaycan, 24 February 2016 - 07:43 PM.

#4 InsufficientFunds

InsufficientFunds

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:16 PM

If none of these fixes work such as manipulating the said updates, your Windows need WAT repaired.

The information Jaycan mentions can be found in this MS article here.

Edited by InsufficientFunds, 24 February 2016 - 07:16 PM.

HP Pavilion dv6t-7k Custom Windows 7 Professional x64 iPhone 6, iOS 9.2 (awaiting jailbreak) 

Cyber Security Instructor in Linux, Cisco Networking Academy and  Windows (XP thru 10, Servers)

I try to make my tomorrow better than yesterday.

#5 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 442 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:37 PM

Thanks, but not right. See below

Validation Code: 0x8004FE21 - Microsoft Community   Here is my quick research !

Remove your update and see if it resolves the problem then: Reboot and install from below.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3024777

If I am not wrong your problem was >>I've gotten the notification  Code 0x8004fe21<<

EDIT It is based on the top reply from Gerry C J Cornell, and the one from Noel..Paton

Edited by Jaycan, 24 February 2016 - 08:43 PM.

#6 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 442 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:34 PM

For some extra information please download  SPECCY on your desktop (Click on the pictures for larger views)...

Attached File  Speccy First.JPG   51.2KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Speccy Two.JPG   84.71KB   0 downloads

Next -

Please run System File Checker
The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.
Click on the Start orb and then type cmd in the Search programs and files box.
In the pane above the search box Programs will appear with cmd below it, right click on cmd and select Run as administrator.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.
Type or Copy and paste sfc /scannow in the command prompt, then press Enter to start the scan.  
If the scan finds no integrity  problems the scan will stop.
This may take 20 minutes or more to run, so be patient

Edited by Jaycan, 25 February 2016 - 01:29 AM.

#7 InsufficientFunds

InsufficientFunds

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 25 February 2016 - 12:00 AM

Awwww fiddle. I gave you guys the wrong link. My apologies. Topic starter, any news on trying these out?

HP Pavilion dv6t-7k Custom Windows 7 Professional x64 iPhone 6, iOS 9.2 (awaiting jailbreak) 

Cyber Security Instructor in Linux, Cisco Networking Academy and  Windows (XP thru 10, Servers)

I try to make my tomorrow better than yesterday.

#8 stoopidfish

stoopidfish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 05:32 PM

Thanks everyone, I ended up just reinstalling. Upgraded to Windows 10. Appreciate all of the help though.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 06:00 PM

Thanks for letting us know...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users