Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

duplicate parents and inheriters in explorer folders

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 creekster

creekster

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 05:43 PM

I have done alot to get the permissions thing to stop  the inheriting rage and multiple files for the same thing. However I haven't been able to simplify or correct this.

I have multiples such as C:\users\(name)\Favorites\Favorites  as parent(?) to an additional Favorite. I may understand the Location Properties . I found how to use the Location tab in Properties get back to the parent, but I haven't been able to decide what to do to make that next duplicate file go away. It's like a series of fish trying to gobble each other but finding that each is the same size so all they can do is wait on the next one to try to swallow them..Or something.

Hopefully I have explained myself. After about 15 years as a neophyte I am still trying to learn a bit more. ??

Creekster

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InsufficientFunds

InsufficientFunds

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:29 PM

Hi Creekster.

Are you claiming that all of your User profile directories have this problem? (Downloads, Desktop, Music) Or one folder, specific folders, or all folders?

Please show a screenshot of examples of the issue.

For everyone's reference in assisting you here at BC, I would like you to reply with the following completed please:

Download and Run MiniToolBox As an Admin

Next, please configure it to look as is below:

Lp3aI07.png

Hit the GO button and wait a short amount of time, typically 5-10 minutes.

Next, please copy and paste the MTB.txt log in your next post using the 4YsotIF.png wrap (the RAE1I3Q.png.

This will assist in diagnosing the issue.

HP Pavilion dv6t-7k Custom Windows 7 Professional x64 iPhone 6, iOS 9.2 (awaiting jailbreak) 

Cyber Security Instructor in Linux, Cisco Networking Academy and  Windows (XP thru 10, Servers)

I try to make my tomorrow better than yesterday.

#3 creekster

creekster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 25 February 2016 - 01:10 AM

Thanks for replying.

I will try a better explanation tomorrow using the info you sent.

Actually, in the profile directory it was My Documents, My Pictures, Favorites .  I have been able to straighten out some of these things but it's easy for them to get back. I have been operating as the user with an alternate Administrator, getting out of all the mixed permissions but the objects still show , for example)  C:\users\(profile name)\My Documents\My Documents\Documents.

I'm afraid I haven't been aware of MiniToolBox, or MTB.txt log.  I will go there tomorrow.

Creekster

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users