Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Emsisoft is great - BUT

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 05:23 PM

I personally believe Emsisoft is a great product, and I feel confident it offers a high degree of protection to my computers.  Nevertheless, I am becoming more and more annoyed at the frequency I must reboot my computers to allow Emsisoft to "update core components".  I currently have three computers running Emsisoft Security Suite, and three other computers running Kaspersky Internet Security.  No offence to Emsisoft, but when my licenses expire on those computers, they will all be switched to Kaspersky.  Both products, in my humble opinion, are equally capable of offering superior protection.  I honestly hope Emsisoft will eventually improve their update methods, but until that time, I honestly don't have the patience to deal with it.  End of rant!  :lol: 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 05:28 PM

Are you using EAM or EIS? EIS usually requires more restarts because of the additional firewall module - that, and it cannot overwrite files that are in use. :)

(I get more restarts than the average person, but I am not complaining)

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 05:32 PM

Honestly, I'm not getting that many restarts and I'm an Emsisoft Internet Security user with beta updates enabled. If it needs to reboot, I do it and I go grab a glass of water or something meanwhile. It doesn't take that long.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar

Authorized Emsisoft Representative

• Security Developer
  • 744 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 05:47 PM

I honestly hope Emsisoft will eventually improve their update methods, but until that time, I honestly don't have the patience to deal with it.  End of rant!  :lol: 

Kaspersky requires a reboot when they update their drivers just as we do. The only difference is, that we don't let you wait for new features until next year until the next major version is released, but give you new features right away, as we usually have one release per month. If that annoys you too much, there are multiple options. You can switch to the delayed update feed, that gets program updates a lot less frequently, meaning less frequent reboots. You can simply turn off the notification for reboots and you will probably never notice it. With version 11.6 we also implemented some changes that will reduce the requirements for reboots even further. Essentially the only reason we have to ask for a reboot then is when we update the firewall drivers, as Windows does not allow the type of driver we use to watch network traffic to be reloaded dynamically.

Best regards,

Fabian Wosar [Development]
Emsisoft Team - www.emsisoft.com

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:27 PM

As a side note, there are advantages for frequent rebooting.

Why Does Rebooting Your Computer Fix So Many Issues?
HTG Explains: Why Does Rebooting a Computer Fix So Many Problems?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users