Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Advice: I need to replace a soon to be 9 year old computer!

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#1 Groffeaston

Groffeaston

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 05:21 PM

Hello everyone,

I am looking to replace my current Dell Dimension E521 computer which is 8 to 9 years old. I have a pretty decent idea of what I would like to have in a new computer but have a limited budget.

What I would like in a new computer:

1) A Processor with at least 2.5GHz speed, preferably 3.0GHz or higher .

2) 8GB memory or higher.

3) 1 TB Hard Drive
4) at least 1 GB graphics memory and/or a video card.

From what I have been looking at online and in stores locally, I will either have to increase my budget or build my own! 

So I need some help. Are there any computers out there that fit my wants, needs and budget? Or will have to look at building my own?

Laptop or Desktop? Desktop

My budget for the new computer is:  $400

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)?  Mostly: email, web browsing, playing a couple games on Face Book and occasionally burning music to CD's or transferring/copying files from one disc to another.

What software do you intend on using on the computer? Not sure yet.

Do you play games? If so, what type of games?  No. Only on Face Book

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it?  I sometimes like to listen to Spotify while web-browsing, doing email, and social networking. Also I tend to have multiple web pages open at one time and switch between them.

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?  Just a few photos (Not many),  maybe a few CD's worth of music.

Will you be overclocking?   Do not think so.

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-pavilion-desktop-amd-a8-series-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-natural-silver/4246800.p?id=1219712308322&skuId=4246800

How many monitors are you planning to use?    Only 1 monitor

Do you need peripherals? OS?     I have 2 external speakers and I think it is a sub-woofer, I will need a new key board and mouse. Would like it to have Windows 10.

Any particular reason why you are upgrading? Yes, my computer is 8 to 9 years old and loads up and shuts down SLOW!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:21 PM

For one thing GHZ is no longer a valid way to measure how fast a processor is. It is like measuring the speed of a car by its RPM. Look at benchmarks to compare processors. Otherwise I think the build you chose is good. Just avoid geek squad.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 07:30 PM

So that HP Pavilion Desktop that I looked at, at Best Buy, Would that be a Good choice? 

If it is, then I think I will put off building my own computer to a later time, when I have more money to be able to put towards it.

Edited by Groffeaston, 26 February 2016 - 11:21 AM.

#4 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:35 AM

Hello everyone,

I was just going over the specs for the HP Pavilion computer that I was looking at, at Best Buy and The one thing I found a little odd about it is that it only has a 65W power supply. Is that "normal"/"standard"?    Why do I ask that? I was looking a few computer cases to build my own and they had anywhere from a 450W to 600W Power Supply Unit of the ones that had them preinstalled.

Also I was looking at different websites that had Computer Builds and they used anywhere from a 450W to over 1250W Power Supply Unity. A majority of those were "Gaming" Computers and had: Multiple cooling fans, Multiple Drive bays:  hard drives, video drives, Sound cards, and even liquid cooling units. But a couple "budget builds" even used the PSU's in the 500W to 600W range and higher! 

Should I be concerned with a PSU of 65W of the HP Pavilion?

#5 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,349 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:17 PM

Eeks! 65 isn't enough to power those components! Most prebuilts come with a 200-300 watt psu.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#6 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:04 PM

I wonder if that could be a Typo or if that actually does have a 65W PSU.  That must only have a 65W PSU!! Because I even checked on HP's Website and the specs showed a 65W PSU!!

http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/desktops/hp-pavilion-desktop---550-a114-%28energy-star%29-m9z89aa-aba

DAMN!! Now I am at a loss!! Every other Computer I looked at is over $400. And building my own would be well Over $400. And if I buy the HP computer and then Buy another PSU and change out the 65W PSU that would probably void what little warranty there is on the computer!

Any Suggestions? Should I up my budget and continue looking at prebuilts or use a website like pcpartpicker.com to build my own computer to at least try to keep the build reasonably priced?

I know, that no matter what I do I am most likely going to have to increase my budget.

I will post here when I get a "build" idea done on pcpartpicker.com so that I can get some suggestions and advice. 

Edited by Groffeaston, 27 February 2016 - 07:28 PM.

#7 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:47 PM

Here is the computer build idea I came up with:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BtTYVn

I did not include a Sound Card or Video Card on this build.

What advice or suggestions to have on the above build? 

#8 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,349 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:39 PM

That build looks good. I don't think you'll need a video or sound card. The integrated sound and video should be pretty good. Only thing that bothers me is your blue case, gold motherboard and red ram. Fist world problems however.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#9 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2016 - 01:09 AM

I can adjust/"tweak" that build and make it a little more aesthetically pleasing and more budget friendly!  

Also I did a second build idea using an Intel processor:  https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Groffeaston/saved/vrbmP6

Last 3 questions:
1) Which of those 2 build ideas would you suggest I go with?
2) Should I make any "tweaks" to make it a little more budget friendly?
3) What do you suggest I should 'tweak"/change?

#10 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,349 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:30 AM

That second build is good. I have that same gigabyte board and a would highly recommend it. However, your cpu is not overclockable so you can use the stock cpu cooler and a cheaper h97 motherboard.

I would recommend the second build. I am personally an intel fanboy. AMD's K8 cpus have been the same architecture for years, while that core i3 is only less then 2 years old. Intel has more powerful cpus that consume less electricity.

I tried to use your parts and edit it but pcpartpicker acted up.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#11 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:54 AM

Thanks for the advice!

My current computer, a Dell Dimension E521, has an AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual core 4000+ 2.10GHZ processor with 2.00 GB of memory and is about 9 years old! It has been pretty good for me, that is why I like the AMD processors, But I also like the Intel processors as well.

I think I will use the second build idea and "tweak" it a little like you suggested/recommend and then go from there. I will let you know of the "tweaks" I make.

#12 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2016 - 12:11 PM

I "tweaked" it twice. Here is the first one:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Groffeaston/saved/#view=PdRrxr

Here is the second one:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Groffeaston/saved/#view=ydRrxr

I will have to save up a little more $$$$ to be able to build either one of these 2.

#13 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2016 - 10:31 PM

I have reworked those Build ideas and have got down to pretty much a final 2. Unless prices change, a product is out of stock, and/or otherwise is unavailable. The final build ideas are:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Groffeaston/saved/vrbmP6

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Groffeaston/saved/#view=n6Yv6h

They are very similar except for: CPU, Memory, Case, and Power Supply.  I did not include an Operating System because I will get that locally or Direct order it after I build the computer. It will allow me to save up money for it. lol

Now I just have to decide which build to go with. Any suggestions/advice? 

Please note: The second build listed in my previous post, somehow got deleted on me when I went to "tweak" it.

Edited by Groffeaston, 01 March 2016 - 10:37 PM.

#14 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,349 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:37 AM

I like them both. Just remember the i3 is hyperthreaded so it will multitask better.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#15 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2016 - 08:26 AM

Okay, Thank You for the advice! I think I will go with that one! When I get it built I let everyone know the final $$$ and try to get some photos.   Once again thank you for your time and patience and the advice! :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users