Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Fatal Error While Installing Norton Firewall

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 atapp21

atapp21

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 31 July 2006 - 01:50 PM

Yesterday while trying to install Norton Personal firewall on my computer I incurred a fatal error which has left my computer inoperable. Most of my icons are all blank, I can't connect to the internet, and when I click on the few regular icons, like recycle bin, it just creates a shortcut to the desktop. I wanted to try and get into the control panel to restore my computer to a previous day but I can't even get there. I thought about reinstalling windows but don't know if I would then lose my existing files. I need some advice, help on what to do.

I have a Dell 4550 computer with windows XP, thanks for any advice
Yours Truly,
Tapdiggity

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 31 July 2006 - 02:06 PM

Hit the F8 button repeatedly while booting the computer. Choose Safe mode with a command prompt when prompted.

Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

More info can be found HERE.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 atapp21

atapp21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2006 - 09:19 AM

Hey Albert E,

I followed your instructions but to no avail. The response from my computer stated " The system can not find the path specified"

Also some added info, On start up my start up programs do not come up. There are no program icons in the lower right hand corner. :thumbsup:
Yours Truly,
Tapdiggity

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2006 - 09:21 AM

Start in safe mode and select last known good configuration.

#5 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2006 - 10:23 AM

Please do this first then follow up with the repair and print the article for the repair for reference.

How to Fully Remove Norton 2004 and newer

Tools Needed = * SymNRT.exe click on this link below and it will start the download.

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_...sgen/SymNRT.exe

Instructions for use from Bleeping Computers

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/42247/how-to-completely-remove-norton-security-products/

You have to have the Windows recovery disk for your computer to accomplish this task.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install = http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Edited by ThorXP, 01 August 2006 - 10:26 AM.

#6 atapp21

atapp21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2006 - 05:52 PM

Hey ThorXP,

How do I get the tools needed to remove symantec product when I'm unable to get online. I can maybe download the SymNRT from another computer but how do I put on my desktop?
Yours Truly,
Tapdiggity

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2006 - 07:26 PM

A repair install of XP should set the system right (and save your files and data). Here's a link for how to do it: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

If you haven't purchased the Norton product yet - I'd recommend that you not purchase it because of the problems that it's caused you.

Here's some good, free applications that can do the same thing:
AVG Antivirus Free Edition
Windows Defender Antispyware (Beta)
Sygate or Kerio Personal Firewall (Sygate is no longer supported - but I haven't had any problems with it ever).
Google toolbar (for popup protection in IE)
Firefox browser (more secure than IE)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 atapp21

atapp21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2006 - 11:38 AM

Enthusiast,

Tried to go to last known configuration from the safe mode and I still have the same response. A bunch of nonresponsive white desktop icons.
Yours Truly,
Tapdiggity

#9 atapp21

atapp21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2006 - 09:05 AM

Thor XP, USASMA,

I tried and tried to download the Symantec tool removal but with no luck the website would not respond. And so I proceeded to do the XP repair install anyways. The first time time I made it through the install setup but on the boot up portion it got hung up. But I restarted and it resumed fine. All in all the overall results were the same. I have the same syptoms as before. What else can I do?
Yours Truly,
Tapdiggity

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2006 - 10:03 AM

What disk are you using to do the repair install - the Windows XP installation cd or a manufacturer's restore cd?

If you are using the Windows cd it looks like you are going to need to do a complete reformat and installation.

#11 atapp21

atapp21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2006 - 01:25 PM

Enthusiast, I was using the windows XP CD so it appears that your telling me that there is no way to preserve my current set up ,but is there a way to save my files by file transfer or something?

Appreciate your help
Yours Truly,
Tapdiggity

#12 atapp21

atapp21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2006 - 07:50 PM

Enthusiast, I know understand that somehow the Norton firewall that I installed somehow corrupted my registry. Now I would like to know if there is some way to pull off some files off my hard drive and then I would do a XP reinstall. I appreciate any help.
Yours Truly,
Tapdiggity

#13 atapp21

atapp21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2006 - 05:09 PM

My registry is corrupted by norton. Is there anything I can do? Should I repost this question? Help! :thumbsup:
Yours Truly,
Tapdiggity

#14 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2006 - 06:06 PM

In regard to the Norton clean-up. Go to another computer, and download the clean up tools, under the Manual option not the online option, to a disk or flash drive, then install them from there, in Safe Mode, and let them run. Reboot when it's done. You may need to run the tools and reboot a few times, even if it doesn't prompt you to do so.

I think I would post a new topic about the reinstallation problem after you have done the Norton Clean-up. You might want to include a link to this topic in the new one so folks can see what you already tried.

Hope this helps,

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#15 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2006 - 10:57 PM

What seems to have happened to you is described here:
Damaged Registry Repair and Recovery in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;EN-US;Q318159

But since you have installed the latest service pac already, SP2 (haven't you?), maybe try to install it again.
Try safe mode with networking which will allow you internet access and may enable you to boot the computer.

If not -
Being that you have the Microsoft Windows Installation CD do a repair install which according to Microsoft will leave your profile and data intact.

To do so, boot with the XP cd. When asked to do a repair the first time choose no- go on to install, but choose repair the second time the option is offered.
Hopefully that will restore the registry and straighten your system out.

If that doesn't work try the following:
How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/en-us

Edited by Enthusiast, 11 August 2006 - 11:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users