Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using a Alienware m11x today

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 iKokomo

iKokomo

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 03:59 PM

I am getting rid of a bunch of old computers I don't need anymore on eBay and I was thinking of trading them all up for a used Alienware m11x. I know it is an older computer but it seems very capable, especially for the size and for the price I can get it at. (400 or less, USD). It has up to an (older) i7 with a 1GB video card. I can update it with max RAM and SSD which seems like it would be a great computer for many more years to come.

Is this a good idea?

Thanks!

Edit: "Now, I am not looking at the lastest greatest PC games [Just some older ones, (Like the Bioshock's, Mass Effect and the F.E.A.R. Series and others like that) and some Sony Vegas Video/ Photoshop photo editing and Cakewalk Music Editing / Recording." 

Edited by iKokomo, 24 February 2016 - 04:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 13 March 2016 - 11:56 AM

It has up to an (older) i7 with a 1GB video card. 

Their website says up to a 2GB card, and some sellers have models listed as only having integrated graphics.....which on a older laptop completely cripples all chances of playing the games you listed. Maybe the models they're selling came with a GPU, but Alienware has removable upgradeable GPUs in their laptops. The seller could have easily taken it out, sold it separate, and is now selling the carcass.

If you can find one with its GPU intact, it'll handle those games fine. Just, you know, be aware that sellers can be sketchy like that and to actually get the one you want.

Edited by SEANIA, 13 March 2016 - 11:58 AM.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#3 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 13 March 2016 - 03:08 PM

Honestly if you can get an ASUS gaming laptop instead you will probably get better performance / $$ than alienware... but then again if you're buying it used there may not be as much of a difference.

Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users