Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop slow boot, File Explorer stalling.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Shayanne

Shayanne

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:45 PM

Hey folks,

Hope this is the correct place.

I have a Lenovo Y50-70 laptop. It's about a year old. Spec wise it is an i7-4710HQ, 12GB RAM, GTX860M dedicated GPU and I believe it has a 1TB 5400RPM Western Digital SSHD.

I've found that the boot time is slow. I can compare this to another Lenovo laptop I own, which is a Z580 (i5-3230m CPU, 8GB RAM, standard 1TB mechanical drive (unknown manufacturer)) which boots much faster. The last time I timed it, the Y50 took more than 90 seconds to reach the Windows desktop (set to autologin via changes to netplwiz) and the Z580 takes about 30 seconds. Furthermore, the Z580 is quicker to achieve a 'usable' state (ie. loading FireFox or something).

Both laptops came with Windows 8 (8 on the Z580, 8.1 on the Y50) and were upgraded to Windows 10. Both laptops were also upgraded from clean installations of Windows (to remove Lenovo's famed bloatware).

But more annoyingly than the boot time is the usability. On the Y50, if I right click a folder or file in File Explorer, it pretty much hangs File Explorer (loading circle icon for several minutes and a 'Not Responding' note). Eventually that'll stop and it will have done nothing.

Sometimes, if I then do it again it will actually allow me to right click and bring up the menu.

I have also found that any icon heavy folders, such as pictures or videos, cause File Explorer to have a complete meltdown and become sluggish to the point that the window needs to be closed.

I use StartisBack on both machines, and the Y50 does not display any icons on the 'More' section of the Start Menu. It also cannot find anything if you search for it. The Z580 has no such problem.

The Y50 has been scanned with both Avast Premier and MalwareBytes Anti-Malware Premium. It does not appear to be infected.

I did perform a clean installation a few months ago (back when it was on Windows 8.1) - I cannot recall the exact reason, unfortunately. It wasn't the same issue I'm having now, but it was another usability problem that made me opt to do a clean install.

I am leaning towards doing yet another clean install, but I am also wondering if this could possibly be an indication that the drive has bad sectors or something and data keeps getting corrupted? Alas, as I say, I cannot now recall what prompted me to do the last clean install.

Does anyone have any other ideas though for things that I could try? I do recall having a complete nause of a time getting the Y50 to play nicely with the dedicated graphics again when I did the last fresh install, so would appreciate any less drastic possible solutions to try first!

Thanks for taking the time to read all of this. If you need any further information, please let me know.

Edit: Almost forgot - in the notifications bar there's multiple update entries for something called microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_8weky. Looking around it seems to be some sort of Modern app thing but I have yet to be able to pin down exactly which one and what's going wrong with it.

Edited by Shayanne, 24 February 2016 - 03:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:15 PM

Try this free program:  http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

Disable all non-Microsoft shell extensions and reboot.

If that fixes the explorer problems, then re-enable them a few at a time to isolate which is to blame.

Beyond that, let's try looking at these reports:

1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis:  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location.
By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.
If it doesn't work for you, then please try this:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Shayanne

Shayanne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:00 AM

Hello, and many thanks for offering your assistance.

I disabled all non-Microsoft Shell's as you requested and that did help the issue a little. It seems that my Avast shell (possibly due to being out of date?) was causing some issues and once that was disabled, the right-click was still taking longer than would expected, but was massively improved.

That didn't quite fix the issue with folders with lots of icons though.

While preparing the Event Viewer records I discovered repeated Error 37 records indicating the CPU was being limited by firmware and so I checked up on that and it seems that some earlier implementations of StepSpeed by Lenovo were faulty, resulting in CPUs being throttled even on high performance. I checked in Task Manager, and the CPU speed was being reported as only 1.8 to 2.1Ghz.

I downloaded and installed a BIOS/UEFI update from Lenovo which was designed to fix this - and sure enough, on high performance, turbo is now kicking in and taking the CPU to 3.3Ghz (2.5Ghz stock).

This fixed the issue with File Explorer hanging on icon-heavy folders and now the system is running much smoother. Whether this is related to the BIOS/UEFI update or not, I've also noticed that disk activity has dropped substantially since the update which would also obviously contribute to File Explorer being a lot more responsive and loading the icons quicker.

Thanks again for your help. I wouldn't have noticed the Error 37's if I hadn't gone into the Event Viewer!

Edited by Shayanne, 26 February 2016 - 10:08 AM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:58 AM

I'm glad to hear that you fixed it.

While the Event 37 errors don't directly point at BIOS/UEFI update problems, it's still a very good idea to update the BIOS/UEFI on any W8/8.1/10 system as the OS communicates with the BIOS/UEFI a lot more than in previous OS's (FWIW - when I see the Event 37 errors, I always suggest a BIOS/UEFI update).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users