Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 upgrade

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 boristhecat

boristhecat

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 11:03 AM

So far I've never had a message about free upgrade to Windows 10. Is there something you must do to get it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 11:07 AM

Are you allowing updates?

Are you having problems installing updates?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 boristhecat

boristhecat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:03 PM

I've never updated it since I bought it 2 years ago. It runs absolutely fine so there's no need to.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:31 PM

There are some very good reasons for getting these updates.  Since you have not allowed any updates you don't have the updates Microsoft has included which prep your computer to be upgraded to Windows 10.  A good portion of the updates are security related.  The dangers these are addressing occurred or are still occurring after the release of this version of Windows.

The bottom line... unless you wish to purchase a copy of Windows 10, you need to get all of the updates.  If the version of Windows 7 that was installed on this computer didn't include Service Pack 1, you really need to do the updates.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 boristhecat

boristhecat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:05 PM

There are some very good reasons for getting these updates.  Since you have not allowed any updates you don't have the updates Microsoft has included which prep your computer to be upgraded to Windows 10.  A good portion of the updates are security related.  The dangers these are addressing occurred or are still occurring after the release of this version of Windows.

The bottom line... unless you wish to purchase a copy of Windows 10, you need to get all of the updates.  If the version of Windows 7 that was installed on this computer didn't include Service Pack 1, you really need to do the updates.

I've got service pack 1 but not anything else. When I'm ready to upgrade then I simply install all relevant updates and I'll get a message? 
Has SP1 been released for Windows 10 yet?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:21 PM

Window 8.1 and Windows 10 don't have Service Packs.  Windows 7 was the last operating system which has a Service Pack.

Just install all of the updates which are classified as Important.

#7 boristhecat

boristhecat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:57 PM

So I assume instead of a service pack they simply update constantly?

#8 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:46 PM

I've never updated it since I bought it 2 years ago. It runs absolutely fine so there's no need to.

Your computer may run fine and you may not notice any issues but security vulnerabilities are discovered every day.  Many updates are patches for these vulnerabilities.  That is why you should always keep your operating system up to date.

So I assume instead of a service pack they simply update constantly?

Yes.

#9 boristhecat

boristhecat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 06:38 AM

OK Thanks all

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users