Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive died

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Yorkie

Yorkie

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 10:15 AM

Hi,

Recently my Hard drive died and my Laptop just boots to the BIOS.

I can here a clicking sound so know it's the hard drive that's faulty and the BIOS says no hard drive is detected. 

I have upgraded a hard drive before using cloning, but never had to replace a faulty hard drive that has completely died.

I have removed the old hard drive and ordered a new one, but how do I now recover the Laptop?

I have a recovery DVD or USB, when the new hard drive arrives can I simply put it in and then insert the recovery DVD or USB reboot and go from there installing the OS (Win 8.1) or do I need to create some sort of DVD / USB with Drivers for the new hard drive?

Any advice on replacing a dead hard drive and recovery of a Laptop back to the OS would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Yorkie, 24 February 2016 - 10:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 10:26 AM

If the Recovery DVD you have is simply a Rescue disk and not the full OS you can download the Windows 8.1 media creation tool here. If the computer came preinstalled with Windows 8 or 8.1 the key is embedded in firmware. After installing the OS it will self-activate once online. If you use the Media Creation Tool additional drivers from your OEM's support site may need to be installed.

When installing using the OS from the MCT click next when it asks for the key.

#3 Yorkie

Yorkie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:01 PM

Thanks for the info.

Hopefully it will all go OK.

#4 Yorkie

Yorkie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2016 - 04:31 PM

I've managed to install a new drive and luckily I had an Aconis System Image Backup from 15th Dec 2015. I also last backed up to an external hard drive using "File History" on 8th Feb 2016.

I've been able to restore my laptop using the system image backup and then I thought I'd use File History to Restore my files from the backup on 8th Feb 2016.

Unfortunately when I try to use File History to restore files it only shows files up to 15th Dec 2015 even tho I can see the backed up files from 8th Feb 2016 on my external hard drive that I use with File History.

The Computer is the same name etc. as it was before so not sure why it wont work.  Guess File History is not as good as it's cracked up to be. 

I guess my only option is to manually restore the files from my external hard drive.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 07 March 2016 - 05:19 PM

Does Acronis do file backup? I would use that rather than File History.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users