Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Kaspersky Free Antivirus released", via gHacks (Russian support only)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:54 AM

Saw the news on Malwarebytes Forums (posted by sman), and decided that it was too good to not share.

Kaspersky has been toying with a free version of its widely respected antivirus solution for a while now on the company's own Dev Builds server.

Recently, the company released Kaspersky Free to the public. While not the first free product that Kaspersky has released, it is the first free full-blown antivirus solution the company has released.

The main caveat at this time is that the product has only been released official in Russia and the Ukraine.

While that is the case, downloads don't seem to be geo-restricted at this point in time. Please note though that the interface is mostly in Russian which is problematic if you don't speak the language considering that it is usually a good thing to understand what a security message means before reacting to it.

Also, you may run into activation issues if you run the program in a region that is not Russia or Ukraine. If that is the case, features are limited until those issues are resolved (for instance by using a VPN).

Source: http://www.ghacks.net/2016/01/14/kaspersky-free-antivirus-released/

I expect big things from Kaspersky's free Antivirus to be honest. Can't wait for the English release. It's the second company now that releases a free version of their products (Sophos being the first).

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Markimoo

Markimoo

• Banned
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:08 AM

So Kaspersky becomes free?

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:09 AM

It means that Kaspersky will have a free Antivirus product to offer. The features are limited compared to Kaspersky Antivirus and Kaspersky Internet Security but still. See it like another free Antivirus product: Sophos Home, Bitdefender Free Antivirus, avast! Free Antivirus, etc.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 Markimoo

Markimoo

• Banned
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:16 AM

It means that Kaspersky will have a free Antivirus product to offer. The features are limited compared to Kaspersky Antivirus and Kaspersky Internet Security but still. See it like another free Antivirus product: Sophos Home, Bitdefender Free Antivirus, avast! Free Antivirus, etc.

Seems nice for people who like it but don't want to pay for it. I'll keep using my EIS.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:27 AM

I've been a Kaspersky user (KIS) for several years before moving to Emsisoft products (EAM on my laptop, and EIS on my desktop as a tester) and they are worth using it as well so I'm glad to see Kaspersky offering a free Antivirus now. What is even better is that it seems that new free Antivirus (like Kaspersky and Sophos) aren't bloated with useless features, but just security ones that are relevant for your needs. I like that.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,953 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:57 AM

So, whats under the hood of Kaspersky Free Antivirus
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:02 AM

The translation hurts a bit, but you can understand that Kaspersky Free Antivirus offer basic free Antivirus features, which is good. It's nice to see that the Free version runs on the same technology as the paid products as well.

Also, did I read that well, or did it say that Kaspersky Free Antivirus is compatible with products from other vendors, even Antivirus? It doesn't specify what kind of products, but since it says "competitors", I guess it means other Antivirus products. Even if they say that, a user should only have one Antivirus installed at the time on a system, period.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,953 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 10:48 AM

I would suspect the translation.

Kaspersky: Why Using Multiple Antivirus Programs is a Bad Idea
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016