Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

upgrade the CPU in Acer Aspire M1202

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 steeleb

steeleb

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:01 AM

I want to upgrade the CPU in a friends computer but I,m not sure whats the best one I can use? (and we are on a tight budget)
Acer Aspire M1202
I think the board is a Foxcon rs740m0301-8ekres2h,

Athlon LE-1640 2.7ghz

single-core socket AM2 45 Watt  L2 cache - 1 MB

Chipset AMD 740G 
2GB DDR2 667/800 MHz SDRAM 

AMD Phenom X4 quad-core processor (95 W)
AMD Phenom X3 triple-core processor
AMD Athlon X2 dual-core processor

I'm thinking maybe
  • AMD Athlon II X4 630 Propus 2.8GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core 
  • AMD Phenom X4 9650 2.3GHz Quad-Core Processor 95W Socket AM2+ desktop CPU  newEgg $34  L3 cache size 2 MB
  • AMD Phenom X4 9950 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor Socket AM2+ Desktop CPU  newEgg $65  L3 cache size 2 MB
I need help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:32 PM

I wouldn't recommend upping the cpu. It won't make a huge difference. But if you are on such a tight budget, the AMD Phenom X4 9950 is what I would recommend.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 steeleb

steeleb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:04 PM

that sounds good for $34 with the L2 cache 1 MB larger & having a L3 cache 2 MB & four core's opposed to one.

just a few more questions...

• I'm thinking that I can use the same Heatsink what do you think?
  • and how do I know for sure that the CPU  will work ?
  • Because the website said  Phenom X4 quad-core processor (95 W) does this mean any CPU in this family 95 watts or less will work?

here's some comparing I just did and may have answered some of my questions

compare AMD LE 1640 vs AMD 9650 vs AMD 9950

http://www.game-debate.com/cpu/index.php?pid=347&pid2=203&compare=athlon-le-1640-vs-phenom-9650-quad-core

In terms of overall gaming performance, the AMD Phenom 9650 Quad-Core is massively better than the AMD Athlon LE-1640 when it comes to running the latest games. This also means it will be less likely to bottleneck more powerful GPUs, allowing them to achieve more of their gaming performance potential.

The Phenom 9650 Quad-Core has 3 more cores than the Athlon LE-1640. With 4 cores, the Phenom 9650 Quad-Core is much less likely to struggle with the latest games, or bottleneck high-end graphics cards when running them.

The Athlon LE-1640 and Phenom 9650 Quad-Core are not from the same family of CPUs, so their clock speeds are by no means directly comparable. Bear in mind, then, that while the Athlon LE-1640 has a 0.4 GHz faster frequency, this is not always an indicator that it will be superior in performance, despite frequency being crucial when trying to avoid GPU bottlenecking. In this case, however, the difference is enough that it possibly indicates the superiority of the Phenom 9650 Quad-Core.

The Phenom 9650 Quad-Core has a 1024 KB bigger L2 cache than the Athlon LE-1640, and a L3 cache

The Athlon LE-1640 has a 50 Watt lower Maximum TDP than the Phenom 9650 Quad-Core. However, the Phenom 9650 Quad-Core was created with a 25 nm smaller manufacturing technology. Overall, by taking both into account, the Athlon LE-1640 and the Phenom 9650 Quad-Core would appear to produce roughly the same amount of heat, and consume about the same amount of power.

Edited by steeleb, 24 February 2016 - 08:10 PM.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 25 February 2016 - 11:33 AM

and how do I know for sure that the CPU  will work ?

When choosing a replacement CPU, right off the top there are two things that will determine your choice: what Socket is on the motherboard, and is it an AMD or Intel chip. I did not research it, but if yours is a Socket AM2, then any CPU you can find that is a Socket AM2 will work. Additional thought: theoretically, AM3 is supposed to be backwards compatible with AM2, but since this is a Foxcon board do not count on it, it probably won't. Stick with older AM2 chips.

I'm thinking that I can use the same Heatsink what do you think?

In theory it should. The CPU simply drops into the socket & locks down and the mountings should not interfere with that. If you replace the motherboard, that is an entirely different matter, but that doesn't apply here. Foxcon does not make their own chips so they have to conform to AMD standards for mounting sockets.

does this mean any CPU in this family 95 watts or less will work?

That gets "iffy". In theory it should be ok if the power supply is adequate enough. HP probably supplied you with a PS somwhere in the 250-300Watt area, but check it out. Please see my comments below.

If I may add some thoughts based on dealing with a lot of older HPs with Foxcon boards:

Foxcon is a jobber who specializes in  low-quality, mass produced mainboards for commercial manufactures such as HP. It is very common for older HP units to have failed Foxcon mainboards, I get them in all the time. In street terms, Foxconn boards are junk. There is a chance in the foreseeable future that board will fail, so take it into consideration.

Second, my respectful suggestion is not to attempt to make a gaming computer out of this old unit. You are better off saving your money and building a unit from scratch than trying to make a fast machine out of a slow machine. It is true that a faster CPU will make a difference, but don't forget that the older, slow DDR2 memory, and the slow FSB is going to create a data-flow bottleneck on the system so that it will not be able to perform at the full clock speed of the upgraded CPU. This goes especially if your friend wants to game online. Just a thought.

The problem with a retail computer is that the manufacturer engineered that CPU to go with that mainboard, taking into consideration the overall system, and there is the problem of upgrading.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 steeleb

steeleb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 10:28 PM

I've already changed the PS to higher wattage, it died a few moths back, & hes not gaming, just wants to surf the internet & basic stuff without having to wait on the computer (we are just looking for a little bump in performance) 

So do you think the AMD Phenom 9650 Quad-Core  will work better than the AMD Athlon LE-1640 for what he uses computer ( my concern is the 2.3GHz) ? 

#6 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,349 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 07:25 AM

It will.. I just don't recommend cpu upgrades. Gpu upgrades are better.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#7 steeleb

steeleb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2016 - 02:51 PM

which GPU upgrades will help this computers performance ( GPU budget $25 used from ebay)

I'm looking at a Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5450 512 MB DDR3 And will a Graphics Card make the computers general performance better?
(I know it will have much better graphics on the monitor)

#8 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,349 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2016 - 08:45 PM

which GPU upgrades will help this computers performance ( GPU budget $25 used from ebay)
I'm looking at a Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5450 512 MB DDR3 And will a Graphics Card make the computers general performance better? (I know it will have much better graphics on the monitor)

Not if he is not gaming. Look for the cpu or ram upgrade instead.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users