Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Include any application which runs the scanner?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 966 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:47 PM

Windows 7 and Vista came with some included programs which would run the installed scanner and allow to save the scanned file as some choice of image extensions.  The programs were Windows(Live) Photo Gallery, and some other Windows Scan &/Fax program, and also MS Paint.  What program does Windows 10 came with which allows the scan and save the scanned image?

The scanner itself came with included software for running the scanner to save images, but such software is not necessary if some other program is already installed to handle these image processes.  The idea, is to be able to avoid (in the future) installing unnecessary software when installing a new 3-in-1 Printer/Scanner/Copier, or any printer/scanner combination product.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:25 AM

There is an app called "Scan" that is included with Windows 10. I don't own a scanner, so I have no idea how good/bad it is.

#3 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:08 AM

Scanny (from the Store) is worth looking at.

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:10 AM

When I plugged my scanner (an old Canon Canoscan) into my Windows 10 computer it took about 30 seconds for my computer to search the web for the appropriate drivers, install them and I was able to use the scanner within a minute. It was all automatic with the included scanner software of Windows 10.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 966 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 25 February 2016 - 12:01 AM

When I plugged my scanner (an old Canon Canoscan) into my Windows 10 computer it took about 30 seconds for my computer to search the web for the appropriate drivers, install them and I was able to use the scanner within a minute. It was all automatic with the included scanner software of Windows 10.

That is amazing, and very encouraging.  Now, about what programs will let me RUN the scanner to make a scan and save the image as a file,  I will look into "Scanny", but I am interested to know what comes with Windows 10 which might already be on the computer now.  Paint should do it ( I tried this on another computer already); and I strongly suspect that an extra art & greeting card program recently installed will do it  (menu items in it indicate it may)(but this program did NOT come with Windows).  Any other facts will be of interest from any members who can say.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users