Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does a usb Wifi AC adapter bypass internal NIC card?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TotalBalance

TotalBalance

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:21 PM

I've got an older laptop with an internal Ethernet 10/100 NIC card and a 2.4g wireless adapter.
I now have an ISP Internet package that provides up to 250mb download speeds. However I can never get over 100mb as it seems both my internal wired and wireless max out at 100mb.

If I purchase a usb wireless ac adapter that can handle download speeds of 300mb @ 2.4g and & 800+mb @5g will:
1) I get the speeds I'm paying for (up to 250mb download) or
2) the fact my PC's internal NIC (network interface card) max is 100mb that's all I can expect?

In other words, does a usb wireless ac dual band adapter work independent of all other network devices on one's PC to provide the best Internet speed or is the speed still throttled by one's PC internal NIC card limitations. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:58 AM

A Wireless card is separate from the internal wired NIC.  However, it will be limited by your wireless router or access point.  If your router or access point doesn't support the 300mb speed you will be limited to the highest speed it does support.

If your router has a 100mb WAN port you're not going to get any better speeds.  Basically you are limited by the slowest device in the path.

#3 TotalBalance

TotalBalance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 11:46 AM

Thanks Kilroy for confirming the wireless card is separate. The dual band router gateway router is high speed gigabit so that shouldn't be a bottleneck. I'll order a new usb highspeed wireless adapter and see how it goes :-) 

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:13 PM

bypass that.  test wired first.  if you are not getting gig with wired you have other issues

#5 TotalBalance

TotalBalance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:05 PM

If I follow what your suggesting Wand3r3r the issue I'll probably have with testing the ethernet wired connection is while the gateway router can handle the higher speeds, my internal ethernet adapter caps @ 100mb. I don't really use wired anymore but if I feel the need to I'll probably need to purchase a usb ethernet gigaport high speed adapter as well e.g. 

"Anker 3-Port USB 3.0 HUB with 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Converter (3 USB 3.0 Ports, A RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet Port, Support Windows XP, Vista, Win7/8 (32/64 bit), Mac OS 10.6 and above, Linux) Black" http://goo.gl/ptxGSs

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 25 February 2016 - 10:42 AM

How old is your machine?  Are you sure that its internal NIC is 100?

Do you know the wireless standards the router supports?  You're going to want either N or AC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users