Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Performance Bottleneck?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rushbikes

rushbikes

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:10 PM

I recently picked up a mini-desktop PC (essentially laptop internals stuffed into a desktop cube - Lenovo m93p) running Windows 10 and am more than a little disappointed with the performance. Most noticeably, there's considerable lag on boot up, starting or closing apps, and copying files or installing software, which all leads me to wonder if the performance is being bottlenecked by the hard drive. During such lags, I'd open task manager and notice that the HD performance chart is at 100% whereas memory and processor are fairly idle. Just one example, copying 20 GB's of photography from one folder to another took about 90 minutes - a new status bar popped up for each file rather than a status bar for the entire lot, which I thought was different.

Any insight as to whether or not it's an issue with the HD, an issue with Windows 10, software or drivers, or maybe the small power supply? If it's at all helpful I'm including a list of internals and some performance metrics below. Re Lenovo, they had me run their pass/fail hardware test and everything passed so they think it might be a Win10 issue.

• Intel Core i7-4785T Processor (8MB Cache, up to 3.20GHz)
• Tiny 65W
• 16GB PC3-12800 DDR3 1600MHz (2 DIMM)
• Integrated Video
• Seagate ST1000LM014 1TB+8GB Hybrid Hard Drive, 2.5", SATA

opxv7o.jpg

m8e6g0.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 16 June 2016 - 12:38 PM

Your issue is definitely the PSU, as there's no way that 65W could run all that.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2016 - 04:18 PM

I doubt its the PSU, this is a factory system, they put in what was needed. unless something was upgraded, a to low rated PSU is not the issue, a malfunctioning one, maybe, but again i doubt it. In fact, assuming there was nothing upgraded and no malfunctions I can garentee its not the PSU

Did you buy it new or used? if it really seems excessive, and its new, I would RMA it as it could be a defective drive or hard drive controller. If its used, you could have malware or other issues. And are you sure you got the right model number? lenovas website doesnt have that CPU listed down as an option. http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/desktops/thinkcentre/m-series-tiny/m93-m93p/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwv467BRCbkMvs5O3kioUBEiQAGDZHLx1lTqduIzJV--hG0ikO-Y28NFpARCGi-DszzFo-r1EaAjhJ8P8HAQ&cid=us:sem|se|google|M_Series_Tiny|NX_Lenovo_Desktops_DSA&ef_id=V04qfAAABFLdrSme:20160617211324:s#tab-tech_specs

doesnt necessarily mean anything of course, especially if its used, it may have been upgraded.

might just be normal to....these tiny PCs cut down a lot of things in the name of space saving, could just be a slow hard drive controller coupled with a really big standard hard drive, in which case replacing it with a SSD may solve your issues.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 rushbikes

rushbikes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 18 June 2016 - 11:07 AM

PC is factory spec'ed with the exception of RAM, which I upgraded to 2x8GB. Is there a chance that that's sucking power? Or is the hard drive likely the culprit.

The system is still under warranty. Do you think I should keeping going back to Lenovo or swap out the HD to see if that makes the difference? I'm currently running Windows 10, and Lenovo suggested it was the OS, so they sent me a Windows 7 (or 8, I'll have to double check) CD to see if that speeds things up. I haven't yet done the install.

Edited by rushbikes, 18 June 2016 - 11:08 AM.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2016 - 11:53 AM

It could be the OS so id try that...small chance the ram is sucking to much power, but I wouldn't think so. If you still have the original RAM, it wouldn't hurt to swap out the old and see.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,314 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 18 June 2016 - 01:59 PM

PC is factory spec'ed with the exception of RAM, which I upgraded to 2x8GB. Is there a chance that that's sucking power?

Those OEM machines are guaranteed to work only with originally equipped hardware. And I have seen OEM machines that refuse to work after adding more memory because PSU is not enough...

Edited by Drillingmachine, 18 June 2016 - 01:59 PM.

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 18 June 2016 - 07:42 PM

I have one of those drives in my ageing Macbook and they aren't that quick, but shouldn't be unbearably slow either.  Certainly no way comparable to an SSD though.  This file copying/moving operation, was it on the same disk or across different devices? I've always found copying large amounts of data on the same hard drive to be a very slow operation.  Usually slower than copying from one hard drive to another.  I'd guess it's probably because the drive has to read the data in one area of the disk, buffer it to memory, and then write it in another area of the disk, and the heads have to continually move from one part of the disk to another...

Have you looked at what processes are responsible for the disk access when it is showing 100%?  I've found Windows Defender, Windows Update or maybe file indexing to be some possibilities that can access the disk a lot at times.

Out of interest, what are the Windows Experience Index scores?  You can get them in Windows 10 by running winsat formal in an elevated command prompt (results are written to an xml file in C:\Windows\Performance\WinSAT\DataStore), or easier there is a GUI tool here - http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.220

Your Novabench scores don't look too far out of line with other PC's equipped with that CPU - https://novabench.com/compare.php?k=4785t&n=&s=

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users