Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

sporadic system shutdowns; what could be causing it?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 cyjanidybel

cyjanidybel

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 10:50 PM

Hello.

So our desktop home PC has had this seemingly endless string of problems for the last month. The problem this time is that it starts up fine, but after about 10 or so minutes (or it might depend on the amount of processes being ran, I'm too afraid of worsening the situation to do any further testing) the system shuts off. If I try to power it on again immediately it usually results in a shutdown before booting is completed regardless if I choose normal startup or safe mode.

All I've done so far is take a look at the Event Viewer, but I don't know much about what I've found.

Regarding its history of recent problems. The disk was reformatted twice before this (we had to transition from XP to 7) so I hardly think that this is a software issue? I'm suspecting either a faulty power supply or perhaps bad memory.

For the power supply I don't exactly have the tools to test it out, and a PC tech guy said that ours was running fine (doesn't hold much water but I didn't know enough to complain). In case of the latter, I've tried conducting a memtest but similarly it just shuts down before there's much of anything that could be done.

Will follow up on the specs as I'll be looking into the PC again soon. 

Thanks!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cyjanidybel

cyjanidybel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:06 AM

Update

System Specs: 

ASRock H55M-LE Motherboard

Intel Core i3 Processor, 2GB RAM

32-bit OS

That's all I can gather for now? If there's any relevant information I'm missing, please give me a heads up.

#3 InsufficientFunds

InsufficientFunds

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:49 AM

In accordance with your event log reports, apparently you are running MSE and a simple file has gone bad causing system shutdowns as a result of a critical error.

Please follow these instructions below:

Locate the Start Menu. odJ3pTb.png

Open Command Prompt as Administrator (Right click, Run as Administrator)

OnnbpGC.png

And type the following command (without quotes):

AwcSOVe.png

del /f /s /q "C:\Program Data\Microsoft\Microsoft Security Essentials\MSSEOOBE.etl"

Then reboot your machine.

See if the problem persists. MSE will recreate the file.

I recommend you do use another AV such as Avast! and uninstall MSE from your machine.

Edited by InsufficientFunds, 24 February 2016 - 01:53 AM.

HP Pavilion dv6t-7k Custom Windows 7 Professional x64 iPhone 6, iOS 9.2 (awaiting jailbreak) 

Cyber Security Instructor in Linux, Cisco Networking Academy and  Windows (XP thru 10, Servers)

I try to make my tomorrow better than yesterday.

#4 cyjanidybel

cyjanidybel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 03:12 AM

See if the problem persists. MSE will recreate the file.

I recommend you do use another AV such as Avast! and uninstall MSE from your machine.

I wasn't able to completely follow your instruction with the command prompt since the file path was different. I manually uninstalled MSE instead. 

Though it drastically improved the situation (PC stayed on for almost an hour and I was able to do quite a few more things with it, including install Avast!), as soon as I tried to conduct a Memory Diagnostic, it turned off again in a similar fashion. 

About to check the Event Viewer again and see if anything has come up, if so I'll just edit this post.

Nonetheless, thank you for the tips as this has given me more room to work with.

Update:

20160224_171451.jpg
Gotten an error message twice warning about hard disk failure.
Currently trying chkdsk /r, but should I expect this to be of any help considering the HDD was just wiped?
Check disk finished without problems and no errors came up. I have questions about this.

Assuming the possibility that I could have bad memory sectors or maybe even overheating, why is it possible for me to conduct a Windows Disk Check but not a Memory Test? I'm really not the most tech-savvy person, but I try to learn with every time my PC has problems, so any input on this would be greatly appreciated :-)

Attached Files

Edited by cyjanidybel, 24 February 2016 - 05:48 AM.

#5 awesomeoverload

awesomeoverload

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:48 AM

Hi, I appreciate reading this post. I wanna learn also the reasons why my PC is experiencing  unexpected system shut offs. Do you think there's something wrong with my hardware or something else? I hope this is not a fatal issue. 

#6 cyjanidybel

cyjanidybel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 05:54 AM

Hi, I appreciate reading this post. I wanna learn also the reasons why my PC is experiencing  unexpected system shut offs. Do you think there's something wrong with my hardware or something else? I hope this is not a fatal issue. 

Hello, are you looking into the same problem yourself? Since I'm looking into several possible causes on my end (my computer is at least 5 years old today as is all of its parts but the processor fan) so I think you may be better off starting your own topic and giving out as much clues as you can about your case. :-(

Mod Edit:  Added emphasis, good advice - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 24 February 2016 - 12:38 PM.

#7 cyjanidybel

cyjanidybel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:43 PM

Still getting the MSE error on Event Viewer, exactly the same as

several hours after uninstalling and checking for leftover components with CCleaner. 

I'm so stumped.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:53 PM

Worth a read, skip to last post:  http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/microsoft-security-client-oobe-stopped-due-to-the-following-error-0xc000000d .

More Comments

Louis

#9 cyjanidybel

cyjanidybel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 09:51 AM

I've found a very likely set of possibilities answering my question; the main issue possibly being caused by a faulty power supply (one that generic and shouldn't even have lasted the six years that it did), the second being thermal shutdowns caused by me occasionally knocking the fan loose. The dying HDD being a separate matter of its own. 

However I'm still without a working machine and stumped with a completely different problem (edit: now it's a Windows 7 0x7E stop BSOD).

Am I allowed to close this topic and start a new one, or should I just append to this?

Edited by cyjanidybel, 08 April 2016 - 09:52 AM.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 08 April 2016 - 10:05 AM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please download MiniToolBox to your desktop.

Right-click on MiniToolBox.exe and select Run as Administrator.

You will see an image like the one below.

minitoolbox_zps7byuwkla.png

Click on the following checkboxes only:

• List last 10 Event Viewer log
• List Installed Programs
• List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
• List Minidump Files

Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, then copy it and paste it in your topic.

Please download and run SeatTools for Windows.

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

Once the installation begins you will see an image similar to the one below.

seagate3_zps1fa1f71c.jpg

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB ports.

2.  Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found.  Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on.

3.  You will see Basic Tests above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this.

4.  A menu will open with options for the different scans, please click on Long Generic Test

5.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

seatools4_zpsd7balf76.png

6.  The test will indicate either Pass or Fail.  Post the results of the scan in your topic.

7.  Click on Help, then click on View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 cyjanidybel

cyjanidybel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2016 - 05:25 AM

Unfortunately, all of the above steps is impossible for me at the moment since I don't even have access to the desktop, still.

Several things have been done to the PC since I've last updated:

PSU replaced to Seagate ECO 600w

Switched RAM stick from 2GB Elixir? to Corsair Value 8GB (switched, not added. Second RAM seat seems faulty)

HDD replaced since having the old one plugged won't let my machine boot anymore. It's a WD 1TB Blue, I think, had Windows 7 installed onto it from another computer. Installation went on without a problem.

But taking it back to my home PC, it still doesn't start. It only goes up to the Windows loading screen briefly before rebooting again, looping a few times until it gives me the 'Launch Startup Repair' option. Choosing that takes me to a BSoD:

Attached File  20160405_171741.jpg   109.2KB   0 downloads

STOP: 0x0000007E 

(0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF800C1B4991,

0xFFFFF880027CA288, 0xFFFFF880027C9AE0)

I'm supposing this is all hardware problems since I'm practically starting fresh but with an old board and processor. This is really stressing me out so any thoughts would be great, thank you.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2016 - 09:13 AM

That stop error is usually related to a graphics driver.  So this is software related.

Try booting into Safe Mode to see if the problem persists there.

Switched RAM stick from 2GB Elixir? to Corsair Value 8GB (switched, not added. Second RAM seat seems faulty)

I'm not sure what you mean by this.  Do the RAM slot lock tabs not fully lock?

HDD replaced since having the old one plugged won't let my machine boot anymore. It's a WD 1TB Blue, I think, had Windows 7 installed onto it from another computer. Installation went on without a problem.

Let me see if I have this right.  You took a hdd with Windows 7 from another computer and installed it in the computer you are posting about?

Edited by dc3, 23 April 2016 - 09:14 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#13 cyjanidybel

cyjanidybel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 01:39 AM

Try booting into Safe Mode to see if the problem persists there.

Safe Mode sets me back the same way a normal startup would. When I get home I'll do the disable automatic restart option and see what kind of error screen it gets me

I'm not sure what you mean by this.  Do the RAM slot lock tabs not fully lock?

The lock mechanism is alright, you can set the sticks down fine. My board only has two seats available, and when the faulty one is filled, I get the three beeps and the CPU doesn't boot at all

Let me see if I have this right.  You took a hdd with Windows 7 from another computer and installed it in the computer you are posting about?

Nope. I bought a fresh HDD off the store and had to use a different computer to install Windows 7 into it.

Since my computer won't even turn on and I can't do a thing with it.

Pardon if my English is all over the place, second language and all

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:16 AM

Here is the problem with installing Windows in one computer and then installing the hdd in another.  There are identifiers found in the motherboard which Windows recognizes upon the first time the operating system is started.  This is what is meant that your copy of Windows is tied to the motherboard.  If the hdd is installed in another computer with a different motherboard or even the same can result in the operating system seeing the new identifiers and fail to boot.  This can be avoided in Windows 7 and later versions by running the sysprep prior to installing the hdd in another computer.  This generalizes the operating system, effectively removing the identifiers.  If you would like to have the instructions for doing this I will provide them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users