Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU fan error

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bearistic

bearistic

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 06:24 PM

So for whatever reason my pc is deciding to have an issue. Everytime on load up its shows a cpu fan error and wont let me go further, I've messed around in BIOS panel. Done about every suggestion I've found on the internet for it, cleaned the fan and unplugged the power supply a few times. Still no fix. 

It runs fine on start up, but then it freaks out and begins spinning like crazy before stopping. Anyone have an idea how to fix it? Computer is a year old build so I don't really remember all the details of the computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LENTILS_2016

LENTILS_2016

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:41 AM

buy a new fan and swap it, easy $10 fix.

Or disable POST msgs in BIOS

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,558 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 11:30 AM

1.  Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

2.  Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.  

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Louis

#4 WebWalker67

WebWalker67

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 25 February 2016 - 01:14 AM

Power down your pc and reset your BIOS by remove the CMOS battery for at least 5 min.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 25 February 2016 - 10:01 AM

The Speccy Snapshot Louis requested will show the temperatures of the CPU, motherboard, and other components.  If this is a overheating problem this will confirm it.

Have you inspected the CPU heatsink to see if it is full of dust?  If the CPU is full of dust it can cause a overheating condition which would cause the fan to increase its speed in order to try to cool the CPU.

Another possibility could be that when the computer was built there was either insufficient thermal compound used, or a poor quality compound.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 09:27 PM

That all would work, if the op could get to windows, but if I read the post right, he can't get into windows due to the error. I would swap out the fan on the heatsink, with a case fan temporarily, to see if the error goes away. If it does, then its a simple matter of finding the same size CPU fan off of newegg or another retailer and ordering it in, or even upgrading the entire CPU heatsink while your at it.

Edited by the_patriot11, 25 February 2016 - 09:28 PM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:07 AM

That all would work, if the op could get to windows, but if I read the post right, he can't get into windows due to the error. I would swap out the fan on the heatsink, with a case fan temporarily, to see if the error goes away. If it does, then its a simple matter of finding the same size CPU fan off of newegg or another retailer and ordering it in, or even upgrading the entire CPU heatsink while your at it.

It runs fine on start up, but then it freaks out and begins spinning like crazy before stopping.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 03:09 PM

dc3 the fan runs fine on startup but then goes crazy, he's talking about the fan at startup not Windows.

What is the computer, I ask because I have seen Dell computers have fans with speed sensors that will give errors at POST.

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 05:36 PM

So for whatever reason my pc is deciding to have an issue. Everytime on load up its shows a cpu fan error and wont let me go further, I've messed around in BIOS panel. Done about every suggestion I've found on the internet for it, cleaned the fan and unplugged the power supply a few times. Still no fix. 

It runs fine on start up, but then it freaks out and begins spinning like crazy before stopping. Anyone have an idea how to fix it? Computer is a year old build so I don't really remember all the details of the computer.

it says shows a fan error and wont let him go any farther....thats the computer-and the starting really fast then stopping is the fan itself....least thats how I took it. Perhaps if the op would reply? maybe he fixed the problem. we can hope. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#10 brokenaspiree17

brokenaspiree17

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 27 February 2016 - 12:52 AM

I just fixed a laptop having the same issue.  I disassembled the laptop and took a can of compressed air and blew all the crap out of the fan.  checked and made sure it was seated properly and not loose or moving, and made sure the fan blades would spin freely by moving them with my finger.  Finally checked to make sure the power connector for the fan was properly connected to the motherboard.  Then reassembled and started the laptop up.  Worked just fine and has every since.  Must have been dirt or debris in the fan that was keeping it from rotating properly.  Just a tip tho, I would buy at least 2-3 cans of the air because a really dirty fan can take more than 1 can to clean properly.  Its also nice to be able to have enough air to clean everything else out really well while your already inside ur pc.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,558 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:51 AM

OP has not been onsite since posting this topic.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users