Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cd/dvd Works Ok With Dvds But Not Cds

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dan F

Dan F

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 31 July 2006 - 12:32 PM

I have a NEC cd/dvd burner. It plays dvds and burns them but no luck with CDS! doesnt burn or read them. whenver i insert a cd it tells me no cd plase insert a cd after about 30 sec.
what should i do?

it used to function ok

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 31 July 2006 - 02:11 PM

Have you tried cleaning the lens yet? That is the first thing I would try. You can buy a cleaning kit at a computer store or an office supply store for under $10 USD.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Dan F

Dan F
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2006 - 03:20 PM

a new one of these are about $30 it doent make sense to buy a cleaning kit for $10
I spoke to my tech guy. he says that it could be that the laser for the CD is messed up and they usually go bad after about a year of use!!!!
is that true?
can I verify that?

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 31 July 2006 - 03:51 PM

It's your money. I think $10 is less than $30. And if you buy a new one you should clean the lens on occasion anyway. It will probably last much longer.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 31 July 2006 - 10:57 PM

I am kind of thinking that your tech guy is also the Salesman at Staples. Could I be right by any chance? If he is a salesman they are ALWAYS trying to get you to spend more then you need...

The cleaning kit would be a good idea... and they are reusable so you can clean other drives and cd-players in your house. I would try the 10$ option first.

#6 Dan F

Dan F
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2006 - 12:06 PM

no,
actually he just buitls computers and all.
anyhow I got the cleaner but no luck. It still gives me the same error that no CDs in there.
I have installed the latest firmware too but nothing has happen.
This one was an OEM.
eventhough there is a very nice deal on an OEM which is a higher Model than the one i have (NEC 3550A + 512 SD card = $32)
I think I am better off going with retail package.
what do u you think?
I cant afford to buy a Dvd burner every year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users